Collecting 2020

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We moved about 3 weeks ago and I dug this little sapling out of the old backyard before leaving. Just started budding out. I have it inside because we just had an unseasonal blast of winter come through last night that is supposed to last most of this week.
Nice sapling......Hornbeam? I’m guessing. I thought you’d have full spring In April.

According_bid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Eastern larch I grabbed on Saturday while picking ramps. Also snagged a few more hornbeams. Super easy dig, taproot didn't go down very far at all. Didn't even use the saw. I like the trunk movement and chopped it at what seemed like a logical spot. Still brand new to the hobby so feel free to criticize. I added a little wire, but tried to stay loose with it. If it looks like it's biting into the bark I'll clip it off and rewire in the fall. I added some sphagnum moss around the roots as well. I still need to cover the trunk a little deeper too I think. Thoughts on this tree's potential or suggestions on styling?

Attachments

• 20200420_123714.jpg
    20200420_123714.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200420_123810.jpg
    20200420_123810.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200420_114400.jpg
    20200420_114400.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 49

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, would my best time in South Africa be to collect yamadori a month before spring? Currently winter here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Depends a bit on the species. We dig here either mid winter through to bud burst for deciduous or through to late spring (November) for olives and other hardy evergreens. Another window in autumn around March and April has also been successful for olive, cotoneaster, hawthorn, privet, Indian hawthorn.
I have had good success with azaleas any time of year, even mid summer.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was on a walk with my Mom and me kids and.....saw this sad fella.
View attachment 295687
with all the dead, the trunk was very visible 😄.
My mom asked her neighbor friend if she wanted it. I guess she didn’t.
View attachment 295695
View attachment 295689
Yikes! The roots definitely reflect the foliage! Or lack there of.
I put it in a pot full of sphagnum moss with a little bark and Napa.
View attachment 295691View attachment 295690
still had a little elastic string from the tag. I suspect this wasn’t planted to long ago.
It was in very poor high clay soil.
View attachment 295694
can anyone tell me what this is about?
View attachment 295692
it looks like it spent time in a clamp? 🧐
Any thoughts?
Thank you! And be well.

Suspect was where burlap bag tied around tree too long.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a hackberry with not much root. I put down heavy aeration layer of soil profector, dusted what little root it had with rooting hormone and potted in potting soil. We’ll see what happens. 🤞
View attachment 283195
Is this tree alive? I've found a couple growing wild and was wondering how easy they would be to collect. I tried an airlayer this year and it has been extremely hardy.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dug two this spring, one never did anything. The other put on half a dozen little green buds and I thought it was going to take off but it sat like that half the summer and never did anything. I checked it a couple of weeks ago and it's done. Both did not have much lateral roots at digging. They send a tap root straight down and maybe one or two lateral roots and they will be deep.

I have a couple in my yard. They are very vigorous in the ground. I'm planning on digging this one next spring. I chopped it at 10" this spring and it has put on more than 7' of growth.
IMG_20200831_131741217_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom