Collecting a boxwood from the ground

ilithian

Seedling
Reaction score
First time posting here, so hello everyone!

So i'm planning on digging up a boxwood from a friends garden that will be demolished soon. I live in the south of England, UK. Can anyone let me know when the best time to do this would be? I guess it's still too cold at the moment?

And should i cut back all the leaves extra branches beforehand or at the same time? I always see pictures of collected trees as cut right back to just the stump and base branches.. i assume there's a reason for this?

I've attached some pics.. let me know what you think, any suggestions would be great! I've not done anything like this before.

Tom

base.jpgfar.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected a lot of Japanese Boxwood (not sure what you have and it might spell a big difference how and when you do this) spring to fall w/ good success. Given the choice, I believe the best time will be spring though.

Here (and I've read it different elsewhere) boxwood do not back bud unless there are latent buds to begin with so I ALWAYS leave some leaf at the end of each branch. Otherwise a branch w/o any leaves usually die. Again, not sure if same is true in your region and with your bush.

I usually remove all unwanted branches to open it up and cut back as far as possible before digging. Roots are usually shallow so it is very easy. There will be a few occasional runaway big roots you will have to contend with.

They are one of the easiest plant for me to collect and maintain. It is among my favorite plant to bonsai.

Good luck!!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By the way Welcome to BNut!

Please update your profile...putting it in a post usually get unnoticed or forgotten.

By the way, check under the soil and find the actual base before the dig, You might have a much better base hidden. This is usually the case for me. One was about 6" under and it has roots along the trunk already that I had to remove.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By the way Welcome to BNut!

Please update your profile...putting it in a post usually get unnoticed or forgotten.

By the way, check under the soil and find the actual base before the dig, You might have a much better base hidden. This is usually the case for me. One was about 6" under and it has roots along the trunk already that I had to remove.

I have an opportunity to collect some small Korean Boxwood - Worth the effort or should I find another type?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have an opportunity to collect some small Korean Boxwood - Worth the effort or should I find another type?
I have no experience with Korean BW so cannot comment. If it is anywhere like Japanese BW (and I bet it is), then it is definitely worth the time & effort.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Korean boxwood is superior to other cultivars of Japanese boxwood (Both are buxus microphylla, but there are several "koreana" cultivars . In growing them over the last 15 years or so, I've found them to be better at ramification, leaf reduction and overall hardiness than the main Japanese variety. They are among the most cold-hardy of the boxwoods, capable of withstanding Zone 3 cold.

Definitely worth the trouble of digging. They can take substantial root reduction and extremely shallow containers or slabs once established.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The main difference is that Korean are extremely slow growing. Not nearly as slow as Kingsville but much slower then Japonica. They are also smaller but again not as small as Kingsville.

ilithian

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies! I'll have a look under the soil and hope for some more nebari! Though i think that might be it..

The temperatures here are fluctuating quite a lot.. last week it was -5C and snow everywhere, this week its +10C, next week could be snow again.. Should i wait or is it best to dig it up before spring gets under way?

And i'll update my profile now :)

Could anyone identify what kind of boxwood i have? I've attached a close up image of the leaves, i can get other pictures if that helps.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-01-27 10.57.26.jpg
    2013-01-27 10.57.26.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 72

ilithian

Seedling
Reaction score
..and also, should i plant it in well draining bonsai soil? or potting soil at first?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like Japanese to me due to the square young branches but I may be mistaken.

I personally will wait until the danger of frost is over...preferably when the temps are consistently around 50's.

ilithian

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like Japanese to me due to the square young branches but I may be mistaken.

I personally will wait until the danger of frost is over...preferably when the temps are consistently around 50's.

Ahhh.. going to need even more patience then! This winter has been too long already.
I'll do my best to wait, thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's definitely a microphylla (Japanese boxwood), as poink said. Wait until frost danger is passed to dig it or you could have significant dieback on it.

"Korean are extremely slow growing. Not nearly as slow as Kingsville but much slower then Japonica. They are also smaller but again not as small as Kingsville."

I've not noticed that. I've seen the opposite. I have to do substantial thinning and even some hack-backs my Korean boxwood back at least three times a growing season or they look like haystacks. In contrast, I prune my Japanese boxwood once, possibly twice in the same period.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
..and also, should i plant it in well draining bonsai soil? or potting soil at first?
I prefer leaving some original soil on mine (on boxwood) and not disturb the roots any further. I then use my bonsai mix as a filler all around the root ball. Others have a different approach, wash the roots and use bonsai mix right away. Both works and just up to your preference.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I live in 6b and honest I collect anytime they are available. When they are home(any variety here)I toss them in a standard topsoil mix until the following Spring. This plant seems to me to be as if not more hardy then Dandilions :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think Grimlore means they are very hardy and can take lots of abuse. This is true but I still give them as much care as possible and increase their odds.

The ones I collected (you can find the progression here) are less than a year and they already went through several styling (if you can call it that) & repotting. This is the only species that can take as much abuse that I know of.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Dario as far as boxwood hardiness. I have dug them in the past without losing one. I currently have a hedge that I am digging (free material, Yeah!!) with about 12-15 decent trunks. I am being careful to get as much of the root ball as is possible but there are *&%#@ sycamore roots wrapped around some of the best trunks so some of the root balls are smaller than I want. I use Kellogs Cactus and Palm mix (I know I will get flack about that but it works, it's cheap and is free draining) for dug boxwoods and have had good success. I use bonsai soil (with added organic) when they go into shallower pots. Personally, I think boxwoods do better with some organic in the soil here in SoCal.
Good Luck with the new tree
Tona

ilithian

Seedling
Reaction score
I think Grimlore means they are very hardy and can take lots of abuse. This is true but I still give them as much care as possible and increase their odds.

The ones I collected (you can find the progression here) are less than a year and they already went through several styling (if you can call it that) & repotting. This is the only species that can take as much abuse that I know of.

Well that makes it even more awkward if i do kill it ;)

And your thread on your boxwoods progression were how i found this site! Amazing progress and great material, hope mine can be anywhere near that good!
Tom

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone happen to know what kind of boxwood Has green foliage during the Summer but During Winter changes to a Dark Purple :confused: I found some a few weeks ago and not certain if I should collect it. I was given the ok to take the little runners that are shooting up about 6 inches.

Top Bottom