Collecting a huge White Cedar

mattspiniken

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I would post some info about how I collected this massive Eastern White Cedar in case anyone is interested.

I discovered the tree in fall of 2019 and tagged it for a possible spring collection. It was growing on private land that a landscape customer of mine owns. The area is a steep and huge bank that slopes to Lake Michigan. In 2020 spring I came to see about collecting it and realized it would be too risky for the health of the tree. A friend of mine Bruce Baker recommenced that I partially dig up and completely wrap the root area with sphagnum. I then watered the tree and applied liquid fertilizer every week or two throughout the summer. It gained a ton of vigor and was totally full of young fleshy roots by early September.

recently a friend and I collected the tree. It was nearly impossible to get it up the steep bank but after around 3 hrs of ground bees and sweat we got it to the truck. People often ask, “ how hard was that to dig”but usually the hard part is carrying the thing to the darn truck!

28C779A7-39B6-45E9-9C4C-CB4219AFB7B1.jpegB81E2C6D-DFB8-4D88-A4CE-376F1BC998D3.jpeg50246994-1164-4DB4-BA14-19B3DED5E842.jpegD63BD004-A399-4076-97E8-A44A7B1C9D2D.jpeg

mattspiniken

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, I am taking a nice long break from big trees after this one. Also, they take up a lot of room! I do really like this tree though, it will come into a much better view after the foliage tightens up, the fertilization I did all summer caused some long growth.

@Eckhoffw I don't think I have a garden thread but maybe I should make one soon. Thank you!