Collecting a huge White Cedar

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I would post some info about how I collected this massive Eastern White Cedar in case anyone is interested.

I discovered the tree in fall of 2019 and tagged it for a possible spring collection. It was growing on private land that a landscape customer of mine owns. The area is a steep and huge bank that slopes to Lake Michigan. In 2020 spring I came to see about collecting it and realized it would be too risky for the health of the tree. A friend of mine Bruce Baker recommenced that I partially dig up and completely wrap the root area with sphagnum. I then watered the tree and applied liquid fertilizer every week or two throughout the summer. It gained a ton of vigor and was totally full of young fleshy roots by early September.

recently a friend and I collected the tree. It was nearly impossible to get it up the steep bank but after around 3 hrs of ground bees and sweat we got it to the truck. People often ask, “ how hard was that to dig”but usually the hard part is carrying the thing to the darn truck!

28C779A7-39B6-45E9-9C4C-CB4219AFB7B1.jpegB81E2C6D-DFB8-4D88-A4CE-376F1BC998D3.jpeg50246994-1164-4DB4-BA14-19B3DED5E842.jpegD63BD004-A399-4076-97E8-A44A7B1C9D2D.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, I am taking a nice long break from big trees after this one. Also, they take up a lot of room! I do really like this tree though, it will come into a much better view after the foliage tightens up, the fertilization I did all summer caused some long growth.

@Eckhoffw I don't think I have a garden thread but maybe I should make one soon. Thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m blown away by the natural taper. 🤯
Yes it is a crazy tree, interesting in person. Im not sure how I will style this but the top will be more of an apex instead of a pointy thing like it is now. That might reduce the taper look but im ok with that.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. Mighty fine! And, as a bonus, it grows well naturally in your northern Michigan weather.

Artistree

Seedling
Reaction score
Indeed, that is a fine Yamadori Thuja to find. I agree about the natural taper, that is quite rare to find such exceptional natural taper. Excellent work finding it, being patient and thoughtful in collecting it. You earned this one!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indeed, that is a fine Yamadori Thuja to find. I agree about the natural taper, that is quite rare to find such exceptional natural taper. Excellent work finding it, being patient and thoughtful in collecting it. You earned this one!
I appreciate it, a little luck thrown in the equation as well!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes it is a crazy tree, interesting in person. Im not sure how I will style this but the top will be more of an apex instead of a pointy thing like it is now. That might reduce the taper look but im ok with that.
Its weird how it looks SO much bigger in the first pic that has you in it. Lovely find, great eye!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its weird how it looks SO much bigger in the first pic that has you in it. Lovely find, great eye!
haha! Yeah looking at that picture brings back the memory of collecting that monster. I had the collection all planned out with a helper and it still seemed to take all day to get it out and up that hill! One of my favorite trees for sure though, I can't wait to pot it.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a beast! Initially when I saw the first pic it didn’t look all that big……then I scrolled down. The monster!! makes my back ache just wondering HOW you ever got that loaded onto a truck.

Fantastic find, what a gorgeous natural beauty. Can’t wait to see how it develops.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
amazing tree... what kind of soil did you plant it in after collecting?

Top Bottom