Collecting a "Toshidori" Barberry

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Obviously this can't be called "Yamadory", so I figure maybe it could be called "Toshidori" (Toshi~Urban, Torry~Take)? o_O [Give me a break it has been a really weird week.]

Outside my office is this Barberry that has probably been there for more than 15 years (maybe as long as 25). Everyone in the office hates it because of the thorns and I got permission from the landowner to rip it out and replace it if I want. But now I am thinking about the possibility of collecting it. It may not be clear in the photos but the trunk is at least 3-4" (8-10cm) across. I figure if it could live this long in this crappy clay with no care or watering it is probably one tough bastard, and able to withstand some serious abuse. I believe the irrigation pipe in the pix has not been hooked to anything in many years, and it is under an awning so does not even get direct rain/snow. How it has survived is beyond me.

I need to have it out and replaced with something else before next summer, so I am trying to decide on if I can collect it with a reasonable chance of survival, and if so how to go about it. (The suggestion from my co-workers is to hook it to my truck and rip the damn thing out.)
I was thinking of trenching around it now (though I suspect the roots go down due to being surrounded by concrete) and giving it some regular watering and maybe a few applications of fertilizer before winter sets in. And then collecting it as soon as the soil thaws in the spring. I would like to reduce it down to something more manageable before collecting, but worry about doing too much too soon.
Any ideas as to how much of the rootball I can remove when I collect it? If the roots go directly down as I suspect I may have to remove a lot.
And if I could get away with reducing the branches and foliage some before collecting?
Obviously long sleeves and heavy gloves will be a must while working with this. I have already donated enough blood to it already.

Any suggestions as to process and timing would be greatly appreciated.

20190912_081344.jpg20190912_081359.jpg

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yakima is a pretty mild climate
I believe you could collect it now.
Tempting...
Stasticly our first hard freeze is around mid Oct. And I might have room in my cold box this winter if I could reduce the foliage by about half.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yakima is not that mild. Western Washington is not like east of the mountains.

By all means collect it. However, the wood is not long-lived and they do not have twigs that last a long time. They back bud funny. Instead of ramifying, a new twig grows and the shortened twig dies making cloud-building difficult. It is therefore not good to keep it clipped for show, you need to hedge trim it pretty tight, maybe in fall, and pick out the dead twigs in spring. And hope for the best.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
By all means collect it. However, the wood is not long-lived and they do not have twigs that last a long time. They back bud funny. Instead of ramifying, a new twig grows and the shortened twig dies making cloud-building difficult. It is therefore not good to keep it clipped for show, you need to hedge trim it pretty tight, maybe in fall, and pick out the dead twigs in spring. And hope for the best.
That's good to know, thanks.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trim to a collectable shape this fall. Let it sit. When spring comes, dig it with the smallest rootball you can get out and pot it up. Next year it will be this size again.

I have not seens species recover like barbery. 1 inch rootstubs create a mass of roots in a season.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I didn't emphasize something: you can't just tip prune it to keep it given canopy profile because the twigs die back without being replaced. They need to keep some new twigs to nourish the branches or you lose big branches, especially over winter.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't emphasize something: you can't just tip prune it to keep it given canopy profile because the twigs die back without being replaced. They need to keep some new twigs to nourish the branches or you lose big branches, especially over winter.
Hm. Interesting. Have not had that experience with mine. Maybe because mine had a clear central trunk I cut back to?

This is what it looked like when I sold is. Started from a 2ft shrub20181112_berberis_1.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After removing all those straight suckers, what's left won't be easy To keep pretty.

Is the dirt waist high?

Sorce

Top Bottom