Collecting Amur Maples

Michael T

Seedling
Reaction score
These Amur Maples (Acer Ginnala) were approximately twenty feet in height prior to collection. Took the better part of two days and two chain saw chains to dig out. I needed a tractor to lift them onto my trailer for the trip home.

They were initially potted in 50 gallon containers and left in much of the native soil for the first season. I lifted them a couple of weeks ago. It took two of us just to slide the pots to a clean work area. Washed the root mass out and potted them in 30 x 24 x 12 cedar boxes.

They are now throwing out shoots everywhere. Very aggressive. I cut the trunks back a bit as well. So they are a bit shorter than what the pics show. Other then carving out the scars, its water, feed and leave alone for a couple more seasons. I might mess with them next season given the growth rate, but I'll judge that next season.

I must admit I really like where all of this is going.

I also have a third one that I collected a year earlier that I just repotted as well. Needed a fork lift for that one. I made the mistake of leaving it in its native soil for two years which I believe caused its much better nebari to essentially die off and rot out. Fortunately there's still a pretty good nebari left underneath the original one, but not as good as the original. Oh well, lesson learned.

Always wanted a two man tree (or three or four)

Attachments

• IMG_9540-2.jpg
    IMG_9540-2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9513-2.jpg
    IMG_9513-2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9521-2.jpg
    IMG_9521-2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9524-2.jpg
    IMG_9524-2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 76

Michael T

Seedling
Reaction score
Continued. Many thanks to John Callaway (in pic) for volunteering to help me repot these. I seriously don't think I could have physically done it alone.

Attachments

• IMG_9789-2.jpg
    IMG_9789-2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9796-2.jpg
    IMG_9796-2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_9799-2.jpg
    IMG_9799-2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9800-2.jpg
    IMG_9800-2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 75

Michael T

Seedling
Reaction score
There's something about big honkin' stumps. Sometimes when I get home from work, I just stop by and stare.

Nice tridents by the way. Had a chance at a couple big big tridents a few years back and missed my chance. Live and learn.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My back hurts just looking at them (and my checking account feels a lot smaller thinking about the pots they will need), but those are fantastic finds. :D Would love to see updates in the future.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh man! Thanks for making my Amurs look pathetic! Great finds.

Top Bottom