Collecting azaleas

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to my question but can azaleas be collected this time of year in zone 7? I have a friend who is going to let me collect 2-4 old azalea bushes he wants removed. He would like them gone asap but I can probably convince him to wait until spring if they won't survive collection.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When the weather gets a bit colder, constant 45F offer cut hem back hard stay in the 8 inch range tall. Cut in with a spade a circle around the stumps with a spade severing the long runners.
He won't be bothered by them as much as most all other plants he has in the ground will be dropping leaf, etc... but if they bother him they won't be nearly as much cut short.
In the Spring pull them, here mid-March is best, chilly and they wake up with no foliage and a much smaller amount of root - most times they push awake here in 4 to 6 weeks here.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When the weather gets a bit colder, constant 45F offer cut hem back hard stay in the 8 inch range tall. Cut in with a spade a circle around the stumps with a spade severing the long runners.
He won't be bothered by them as much as most all other plants he has in the ground will be dropping leaf, etc... but if they bother him they won't be nearly as much cut short.
In the Spring pull them, here mid-March is best, chilly and they wake up with no foliage and a much smaller amount of root - most times they push awake here in 4 to 6 weeks here.

Grimmy

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I was pretty sure I couldn't pull it out of the ground until spring. I'll see if I can go cut them back and trench around them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I was pretty sure I couldn't pull it out of the ground until spring. I'll see if I can go cut them back and trench around them.

That will give you the best chance in more Northern climates, never perfect but a much better shot at it. Good growing!

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 now 2 then.

We can take bets on which will survive!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Solid plan

In this beginning, approaching any amount of "same " trees in as many different manners as you can, is only going to add to your knowledge base.

Because remember....

YOUR KNOWLEDGE BASE DOES NOT REACH OUTSIDE OF YOUR GARDEN.

Your garden your microclimate your trees your methods....

Your research your proof your truth your future.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just let them be until spring. Since azaleas are pretty shallow-rooted, trenching now ahead of the first frost in a few weeks could lead to some bad things with the root mass and possibly top growth. Baltimore typically gets a first frost by the last two weeks of October. If things line up with the last couple of autumns, November might see some deep freeze temperatures that sustain freezes during the day. That kind of early cold is a killer. I had to bring all of my trees in for days two years ago because temps got below 24 for a string of days in November before I could get them into winter storage beds.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would just let them be until spring. Since azaleas are pretty shallow-rooted, trenching now ahead of the first frost in a few weeks could lead to some bad things with the root mass and possibly top growth.

I did mention as being up a bit farther up North to wait until Fall, cutback heavy, and trench... The plant will wake up with less root and far less foliage to feed inspiring new buds and branches. You are not in the deep South but trust me on this - It is a lot different.

Grimmy

Top Bottom