Collecting azaleas

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This thread in response to a request from @Deep Sea Diver for some documentation of transplanting azaleas.
Feel free to add comments or other experiences.

I have been involved in garden maintenance for a number of years. One client was a retirement village established in the 1970s. As part of modernization units were being progressively upgraded and extended so landscape plants had to be moved or removed. Fortunately (for me) the gardens had many azaleas.
Over about 10 years I have moved around 30 azaleas, mostly larger specimens.

Some of the things I have learned:
Azaleas are tougher than I ever though possible.
Transplant at all times of year is possible here, even mid summer with hot, dry conditions.
Azaleas cope with radical root reduction.
Bare root is no problem.
Azaleas cope with radical top reduction.

Background info:
Climate: Hot, dry summer with daytime temps to max 43C. 40C daytime at least 10 days each summer; Wetter, cooler winters. Nigh time minimum temps through winter down to extreme -7C. Frost most nights for 2-3 months, -1C regular -3C a few nights each year. Winter daytime temps usually 8C to 15C. Ground never freezes.

I have not documented every azalea transplant butt here are a few photos of typical azalea collection transplants I've done.

These photos taken July 12, 2017
Azalea clump as dug
azalea July 2017 1.JPG

Tangled trunks make it hard to style. Note many low branches have taken root. Smaller trunks with roots are removed and potted separately for eventual sale.
azalea July 2017 2.JPG

Competing trunks removed and roots cut back. Trunks and branches pruned to best lines.
azalea July 2017 3.JPG

Some trunks separated from main clump, usually with a small axe.
azalea July 2017 4.JPG

Potted up
azalea July 2017 5.JPG
Box size 49cmx 32cm x20cm high

This azalea still had a plant tag attached - Azalea 'violacea' Photos taken April 9 2017 - mid autumn here

As dug
azalea 'violacea' 2017 April 1.JPG

too many competing trunks so this one was split into several manageable clumps with better trunk lines.
azalea 'violacea' 2017 April 2.JPG

Closer shots of trunks and root reduction
azalea 'violacea' 2017 April 3.JPGazalea 'violacea' 2017 April 4.JPGazalea 'violacea' 2017 April 5.JPG

I'll keep searching the files for any more documentation of azalea transplants to add to this thread.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This thread in response to a request from @Deep Sea Diver for some documentation of transplanting azaleas.
Feel free to add comments or other experiences.
That’s Awesome @Shibui ! I asked this so we could help OP see that azaleas ain’t no Shrinking Violets.

Thought these might help show some sense of what you are doing out there with landscape azaleas. I like the way you dealt with competing trunks. Most nurseries sell azalea 2-3 plants in a pot together nowadays, so separation tends to be part of the process. I’m gonna sharpen my axe!

A couple things I’d add from my experience. Landscape azaleas are sold as such because these cultivars are proven to handle the local conditions. Nursery owners do not like folks repeatedly coming back complaining their plants didn’t make it. Bad for business. Some (quite a few) satsuki cultivars sold for the bonsai trade may not meet this criteria… Also smaller nursery sized plants 1 gallon and below often can’t handle the same treatment as 3 gal through landscape azaleas… given all are healthy.

My experience with rootwashing all kinds of evergreen azalea (Well north of 60 azaleas were done this year 1 gal and below) and timing is that if done properly and given appropriate after care, an azalea will survive. However I do not like to rootwash after the end of August here unless I have room to put the plant under lights and a heat mat for the winter. … too easy to get fungus or cold damage in Puget Sound with shocked out roots.

I hope this helps!

cheers
DSD sends

Thanks again @Shibui ! This is great information.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
That’s Awesome @Shibui ! I asked this so we could help OP see that azaleas ain’t no Shrinking Violets.
I am new to Bonsai, also in Australia (which doesn't have the extremes of weather that the US does), but my observation on one hand is that there is a lot of "definitely don't do anything until <INSERT HARD AND FAST RULE HERE>, yet observation on the other is that <TREES ARE A LOT HARDIER THAN WE GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR>.

Ok that is an over simplification, and I guess this is where those who love the horticultural side of things come into their own.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a deciduous azalea in our record heatwave late July last year. Not as hot as 42 C .Oddly, we also had a late spring this year. Even my non natives are leafed out well already. The azalea is moving slow. Very alive with much green under the bark though. I'm guessing root damage via harsh winter. The tough S.O.B. made it through the north minnesota winter in my unheated garage

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done.

Dunno if you’ve checked out the Deciduous Azalea thread yet?

Cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also had to move some deciduous Mollis azaleas at the village. The old 'experts' all told me it would never work and the plants were certain to die. They had to eat humble pie next spring when all the transplants leafed out and flowered.

A couple of the earlier indica transplants from garden beds to bonsai.
Both these around 18" tall
IMGP5217c.jpg

IMGP0035.JPG

Some shohin sized azaleas. Both divisions from larger garden plants so they already had thicker trunks.
IMGP4738.JPG

IMGP4739.JPG

another mid sized collected azalea. Still not well shaped and the flowers last year had some petal blight.
IMGP9541.JPG

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

FinnLakk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8Ab
You're a star, thank you!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wondering anout technique on cutbacks in preparation to digging and afterwards. Do you saw the branches down, or prune these back. Also what if anything do you seal the stubs with? Thanks!

cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This thread is at a good time. Some time this year I have 12 to move. The ones you split were they the same plant or a couple that was planted close?
The blooms are done I plan on cutting back some. Lots of trunks on them and overgrown. Maybe dig in sept. Does this sound acceptable?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This thread is at a good time. Some time this year I have 12 to move. The ones you split were they the same plant or a couple that was planted close?
The blooms are done I plan on cutting back some. Lots of trunks on them and overgrown. Maybe dig in sept. Does this sound acceptable?
I'm confident these started as single plants. It is not common for azalea to be sold as several plants in each pot as you seem to have over there.
All these Indica type azaleas tend to send up suckers from the base of the trunk to form multi trunk shrubs. Some have the tendency for suckers to grow more horizontal before heading upward.
Years of accumulated leaf litter raises soil level and all the trunks send out roots so eventually the plants end up as clumps with lots of roots. Divisions were only done because conflicting trunk lines/sizes made it impossible to style a multi trunk tree from the mass.
Division requires chopping through thick trunks with an axe.
Where the trunk lines are good I've just removed upper roots back to get ground level nebari with the older, original roots
You will need to assess each as you find it.

Given the difference in climate (I believe that 7 is quite different from my 9) I am hesitant to give timing advice for you. All I can offer is that azaleas have survived transplant and thrived at all times of the year here, even mid summer and mid winter.
I guess your plan is to get them all out in one go so the garden makeover can get underway but if possible I'd be moving a few at a time to see how they react to different times of the year in your area. You could also post the results here for the edification of others.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have until fall gets here to get them out so I do have some time. It will be a good time to experiment on time and ether root wash or not. At the beginning of this season me and azaleas didn't get along. I'm guessing because I just didn't have much experience with them. Now they are becoming one of my favorite. I'm even looking for more cultivars of azaleas. I guess it dont help when the wife is looking for them to but thats ok.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love to see some posts of you working these trees.

Thinking that depending on size and timing you might dig them up and put all, or some in cutdown nursery containers in really good peat enriched soil to over winter…. Not sure if you are in the mountains or not... This would give the azaleas a safe resting spot to grow some until you decide to root wash in the spring.

cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am in the mountains. I will take a few pics along the way on this journey. I dont have alot to lose in this but some of my time.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went out and trimmed the azaleas today. They were all overgrown growing all together. Lots of inner dead limbs and branches and some dead trunks. Got them all cleared out and cut back. I trimmed back pretty hard. I did leave green on each limb so maybe no more limb dropping.
There were several limbs had grown on the ground and had rooted so there are about 8 more there. About all are yard azaleas except maybe 2. I ran out of daylight but did get pics of 1. This one I didn't cut to hard. This o e was probably the best.
Would it be best to dig now or wait until they back bud?20220618_205609.jpg20220618_210041.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s a big guy!

My preference would be to wait until fall, or at least until the summer weather breaks.

However if you reckon you are pressed for time and there are good spots waiting for them and you are available to give them good care… have at it. You’ve seen @Shibui ‘s awesome thread, so you are on top of the game.

Good Luck and please take photos of your process. These are always educational for folks here.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Would it be best to dig now or wait until they back bud?
You've already seen my experiences with azaleas. Most people seem to stick with spring or fall transplant but a number of the azaleas I've collected were dug in summer by necessity and there seems to be no real difference in survival rates from what I've seen.
The procedure I usually follow is: Chop back enough to reach the roots ball with a shovel. Dig. Remove as much soil as practical. Prune roots. Prune top, removing any awkward trunks and branches, long, straight sections and anything else that does not conform. Remove as much garden soil as possible without damaging roots then pot up.
Most of mine are placed under the bonsai benches for recovery so part shade with regular watering.
From what I've seen it is not necessary to wait for back buds to appear but I don't know if waiting would increase survival rates or not. I'd be worried about knocking off all those tender new buds while digging and pruning.

Fingers crossed for your transplants.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The one in the pic I'm going to wait until it gets a little cooler the bed it's in is not a big hurry. If he will let me I would love to be able to wait until spring on the big one to give it the very best chance. The ones on the other side needs to be gone by fall and all but one of them will go in the ground. Straight out of the ground into a sprawling mess really no trunk at all.
Some of these has really small leaves.

Top Bottom