Collecting bonsai from roots

CapeFear盆景

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I live in a place where we are constantly get battered from hurricanes. After one passes through there are always hundreds of over turned trees with wildly shaped roots.

This might be a dumb question but is it possible to collect a large root from a tree, replant it, and expect roots and branches to grow.

Attached is a photo of a live oak which fell after this last storm. An example of a tree at which I’m looking.

Thanks

Attachments

• FD8E4A1C-029F-48DB-99B1-2455DF638EC0.jpeg
    FD8E4A1C-029F-48DB-99B1-2455DF638EC0.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 735E326E-1B94-4639-9E69-4E1893D23E15.jpeg
    735E326E-1B94-4639-9E69-4E1893D23E15.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 95573B4C-AF1C-4C78-BF4E-CC76A3998F08.jpeg
    95573B4C-AF1C-4C78-BF4E-CC76A3998F08.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 50

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree is one that makes root suckers, not just suckering from the base of the trunk, but actual shoots coming from a root, you can do this. European field maples do this, but Japanese Maples do not. Most elms can be jump started from a piece of root. Oaks, as far as I know do not make root suckers.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In terms of whether it is a good idea or not, I think it's a great idea - though difficult. I have had only low success rates with root cuttings - even among species that were supposed to be easy. However, that doesn't stop me from trying! From your photos, there is so much available it wouldn't be difficult to try a bunch of different experiments.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some species, such as elm, might. Oaks, I would guess, probably not.

Oaks, I would say 99.99% not, but I do have this in my yard:

iMarkup_20200923_160549.jpg

Tree fell down 6 or 7; years ago, and I just noticed the root suckers this summer.

"So you're telling me there's a chance?!"

Anonymouse

Sapling
Reaction score
I love live oaks but I fear you will not have any luck with trying to get a sucker from a root but I would guess that if there is a live oak there will be sapings or seeds somewhere.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Southern live oaks Quercus virginiana do grow lots of root sprouts naturally, so you may have a chance with that species.
Just curious Michael, are they root suckers or basal sprouts? My Coastal Live oak will make lots of basal sprouts, but never a root sucker. Root suckers pop up away from the base of the tree right off one of the roots. Basal sprouts can look like a root sucker if they come from below the soil and will often root, but always at the base of the tree.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here in Texas our two common "live oaks" Q. virginiana and Q. fusiformis both make true root sprouts or suckers. It is a response to stress of one sort or another. A common complaint about them as landscape trees is the nearly solid mass of root sprouts growing like a ground cover under the trees, making it impossible to grow anything else. This often happens when the trees are planted where they do not have enough soil volume--think of a live oak squeezed into a tiny parking lot island. Over-pruing will also cause it.

A number of the other oaks native to central and west Texas are strongly rhizomatous.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The fact that hurricane season in North America is mainly July - October makes success even more challenging I'd think. Worth a shot, though!

CapeFear盆景

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you all for the advice. Im going to either have to wait and see if we get a late season hurricane or wait until next year if the opportunity presents it’s self. I’ve been looking around town for elms, after the suggestions I’ve done some more research and I will definitely give this a go and keep posting updates.

Top Bottom