collecting carts

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Does anybody know where I could get a bonsai collecting carts with agresive tires fof under 200 bucks.:confused:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Something like this?

I think you want something with large diameter wheels, versus wagon-type wheels. I hauled wood in a cart like this for years - my parents paid me by the cord that I split and hauled :) This is for hauling (i.e. pulling) unlike a wheelbarrel which is designed for pushing. Nice thing about this design is that two people can pull at the same time on opposite sides of the cart.

joyee

Seed
Reaction score
You should to get the large diameter wheels. Agree with above post. He really perform well and expose all the knowledge what he knew..

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Find a used "performance stroller." They have larger wheels, and are built to take a pretty good beating.

Attachments

• performance navy.jpg
    performance navy.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry i'm not answering your question directly. While I still think it might be good to experiment with one of these carts.

I've thought about using something like this, but I think it's easier to get a good external metal frame backpack and tie the tree onto your pack. Most of the collecting i've done has been up in the sierras and dragging a cart up and down the mountains would be more difficult. Really rocky areas might be too challenging with a cart and if the mountain/hill is too verticle it could be harder too. Either way your going to get a good work out! I think the more I collect, the more I learn to keep things simple.

This is just my opinion i've seen some good collectors in Europe using these carts. But I also know some other good collectors tie trees onto their pack. Good luck on your trip!!!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Carts -- including the first one which I've been using for MANY years for a variety of chores around the house -- are fine for urban yamadori collecting. They're not worth a damn for collecting trips into the swamps, mountains or the desert where there may be a 10 mile (or more) slog, hike or climb from the car to the site. For those a backpack frame and some length of limber cotton rope to fasten your tree(s) to the frame are all but mandatory.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 10

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think JKL has it right on this one, typical areas aren't condusive to wheeled use, they'd end up a hinderance IMHO.

It would be nice if someone would grow them on the side of the road to make collecting easier but ......

Top Bottom