Collecting during winter months

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
anyone in the northwest (WA state and vancouver island area) collect during winter months? particularly shore pines and hemlocks?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know of anyone doing it.... most of the proper places for collecting get snowed or rained out this time of year.... many of them are already under several feet of snow...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just came back from collecting a few tamarisk trunks from the desert...but those are not for you guys. Too cold and wet up in your neck of the woods.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
actually Daniel has a large landscape one in the gareden.... I betcha we could do them in REALLY large pots :p

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So in principle the only thing thatd stop me from collecting right now would be snow? Trees would be ok with being collected while theyre frozen?

I don't know of anyone doing it.... most of the proper places for collecting get snowed or rained out this time of year.... many of them are already under several feet of snow...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Honestly I couldn't say ... Haven't ever done it .... But the principles tell us that if you were inclined to do it... You might have better luck as the ground begins to thaw .... Or be patient and wait for next year :)

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok i guess its up to me to go and give it a go and see where it goes. :)

Reaction score
So in principle the only thing thatd stop me from collecting right now would be snow? Trees would be ok with being collected while theyre frozen?

I dont think its the frozen tree you have to worry about, it would be the frozen ground which would be a little hard to dig in. Also seems like the roots would take quite a beating since when frozen there would be no bending so you might get alot of root damage.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy Smith (Golden Arrow Bonsai) collects in the winter if the ground is not frozen. There was just a thread by Grouper regarding just collecting on Vancouver Island. I tried it last winter as we had a very late freeze, the tree died. The trees are going or pretty much dormant so in theory I think it's fine. Where I live it's a short window of being dormant and not completely frozen.

Good luck I'd say go for it, report back.

Goon Salo

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i found an awesome collecting area around where you are. maybe one day ill go show it to you :) ....its mostly crown land and private lands so its easier to get permit. i dont go there much since its about 8 hours away.

Andy Smith (Golden Arrow Bonsai) collects in the winter if the ground is not frozen. There was just a thread by Grouper regarding just collecting on Vancouver Island. I tried it last winter as we had a very late freeze, the tree died. The trees are going or pretty much dormant so in theory I think it's fine. Where I live it's a short window of being dormant and not completely frozen.

Good luck I'd say go for it, report back.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There was just a thread by Grouper regarding just collecting on Vancouver Island.

the ground there isn't frozen yet.... that is why we go at that time of year.... its one of the last moments you can go before you are likely to be snowed out.... and some years it has been missed due to be a few days off.... :)

Top Bottom