collecting failures

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm not real experienced at collecting stuff but I have access to vacant lots that are going to be cleared so I do have some observations from some successes and some failures. Without exception the stuff I collected and tried to keep the whole tree or in some cases most or half of the tree all died, nothing came out of dormancy except in some cases root suckers. But typically everything that I completely chopped back to a stump survived. Some of it even collected in the summer. Now I've learned all that vegetation just dries everything out.
This is a pic of a coastal live oak that only grows root suckers, occasionally I cut them all back to see if something will sprout on the trunk but nothing. From scraping the trunk I don't see any green. It originally was collected last winter as a whole tree. I just recently cut it back to a stump.
How long would y'all continue to water this fruit cake?

Attachments

• CLO.jpg
    CLO.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 43

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not real experienced at collecting stuff but I have access to vacant lots that are going to be cleared so I do have some observations from some successes and some failures. Without exception the stuff I collected and tried to keep the whole tree or in some cases most or half of the tree all died, nothing came out of dormancy except in some cases root suckers. But typically everything that I completely chopped back to a stump survived. Some of it even collected in the summer. Now I've learned all that vegetation just dries everything out.
This is a pic of a coastal live oak that only grows root suckers, occasionally I cut them all back to see if something will sprout on the trunk but nothing. From scraping the trunk I don't see any green. It originally was collected last winter as a whole tree. I just recently cut it back to a stump.
The trunk is likely dead. Live oaks tend to resprout from the base of trunks and from roots near the surface. In the wild, this results in "mottes" or clumps of oak. This one MIGHT have a start on a clump-style common root style planting, IF those new shoots come out low enough. Worth exploring the remaining nebari by uncovering the surface roots and seeing where the new growth is coming from.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trunk is likely dead. Live oaks tend to resprout from the base of trunks and from roots near the surface. In the wild, this results in "mottes" or clumps of oak. This one MIGHT have a start on a clump-style common root style planting, IF those new shoots come out low enough. Worth exploring the remaining nebari by uncovering the surface roots and seeing where the new growth is coming from.
I have two exactly like this. The trunks on the trees were compromised. I now have sprouts very close to the bottom. I am planning to grow them out for two years before carving away the dead part of the trunks. Next time I repot them, I will expose more of the nebari to see what else I can do to improve the trees.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oaks are funny like that sometimes, there’s definitely a lot of potential there still. Let the shoots grow

Top Bottom