Collecting for a spruce forest

Jan Olav

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collecting again. I found this area a couple of years ago and have been trenching and fertilizing some trees. No need for that though, the trees come up really easy and with a good rootball. I am saving up for a big spruce forest. I brought a couple of trees home and put them in my new polyhouse. It is not the best time to collect spruce , but the moisture in the polyhouse has done wonders with some other yamadoris. The trees I collected are about 27 - 33" tall with 2-3" trunks (ish).
I will get the rest of the trees for the forest in august-september. I have about 20 trees waiting.
My son borrowed some tools and got right to it, clipping and pruning. :)
The trees are European spruce. Picea abies.
Can you see a forest made out of these trees? :)
Feel free to use this thread to show your own spruce group plantings. I watched a video of Hatsuzi Kato making a ezomatsu forest and have had the forest bug ever since.

Attachments

• Spruce1.jpg
    Spruce1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Spruce2.jpg
    Spruce2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 111
  • SPruce3.jpg
    SPruce3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Spruce-Egil.jpg
    Spruce-Egil.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 3Spruce.jpg
    3Spruce.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Typical of spruce growing in such an environment, lower branching is non-existent, but these will work fine in a forest, keep us updated please.

Will

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice material

Great material Jan! I would love to build a forest from trees like that...I look forward to seeing the results of yours.
John

This pic is from Saburo Kato's garden...Ezo Spruce on a stone slab...somewhere around 5' in height. Almost without exception Mr. Kato's famous rock plantings are much much larger in person than you would ever imagine from photographs.