Collecting Hawthorns

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone in the Western North Carolina area know where a good place is to collect good hawthorns? I want to collect some to add to my collection, I have mainly Japanese maples, hornbeams (more to collect 2020) azeleas, and crepe myrtles right now. I’m not trying to steal anyone secret spot, just looking for new material. Thanks.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Anyone in the Western North Carolina area know where a good place is to collect good hawthorns? I want to collect some to add to my collection, I have mainly Japanese maples, hornbeams (more to collect 2020) azeleas, and crepe myrtles right now. I’m not trying to steal anyone secret spot, just looking for new material. Thanks.

The best possible locations to collect hawthorn are going to be in cow grazed pasture. You will find the most interesting Specimens with low branches. So if you can gain permission to peruse a cow pasture, you’re destined to find some nice stuff.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't rule out seeds!

Every time I look at mine, like 2 years old, I think, "damn I'm glad I planted that!".

Sorce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hawthorns grow rampent around Asheville, I see them in the woods all the time and have several growing in my back yard. Finding someone with an old pasture or a woodlot who will let you colect them is the challenge. Get yourself a collecting permit from the USFS and head out into the woods.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
BTW, you can also air layer them—I have 2 in progress right now. They callous over a lot and seem to take a while to develop roots—mine hopefully will finish off next summer.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone, I will keep my eye out on pastures. I planned on getting a permit next week anyway so I can start scouting. Of course it will be a little harder to spot without leaves.

Top Bottom