Collecting Hazards

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
sometimes I end up climbing small cliffs to look what's up there so, I usually only carry a collapsible shovel,angled folding saw, and pull cables. That way if I get something I'm not carrying a lot, and hands free, plus my defense weapons as well.

Derek91

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's good you held restraint ,allot of respect for that. Most people that have a gun and see something that could be threatening and shoot at the first sight .thats one of the biggest impacts on our so called "dangerous" wildlife. Especially cougars/mountain lion/panthers whatever there called in your area.they were wiped out from the east coast totally(with a few exceptions)mainly because of that reason.
Nice pics though.I'm a huge hunter and live for encounters like that. Sounds like a cool trip.

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Figures. I lived in Wyoming for 16 years. All I saw was antelope. Lots of antelope!

Awesome pictures. I would have been somewhat freaked out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Glad this ended well for both you and the big cat. You did the right thing by keeping the animal in front of you and by keeping your cool. I am also glad to hear that you are equipped to defend your self. Harsh language and flowers do very little in deterring a determined predator; four legged or two. Very good post, I read it from beginning to end.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Enjoyed the photos and comments as well. Have run across bears ( mostly blacks but one grizzly) and rattler's but nary a cat.
But I think it's helpful to be reminded and therefore prepared. Going digging with a group is much safer then by one's self.
My brother is a wildlife photographer. When I asked him what he carries, it's never a gun but rather spray. According to him and his trips to alaska, all his guides carried was bear spray
and a great respect. The bear picture was one of his, as bear was protecting his fishing rights and only happy to charge the intruder.
The other shot is one of a friend of mine, John Muth...talk about making yourself look bigger
as a deterent for cats......I think John as I remember had several hemlocks strapped to his backpack

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 54

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Down here we would have killed and eaten the damn thing.
The skin makes a nice blanket too!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The other shot is one of a friend of mine, John Muth...talk about making yourself look bigger
as a deterent for cats......I think John as I remember had several hemlocks strapped to his backpack

That space near the back of his neck is obstructed by his gear; a good thing as I think the cats like to kill with a bite to that part.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoa...just saw this thread!! Your a lucky dude! The lil' fella looks fairly young, as mountain lions cranium will broaden and the snout becomes less pronounced with age. Probably just checkin' you out. If he had a proper stalk going on, well, you would never know what hit you! And yes, head and neck area is the target, (as with all cats). I moved back east from Colorado twenty or so years ago and they were really becoming a problem there back then. I know one thing, I'm sure you never felt more alive or so small in the face of Nature's grandeur!! As for "kill'em and eat'em", well, thankfully for humans, apex predators don't have a "Stand your ground" laws!! Nothing against hunting,(love meat off the cloven hoof), nor guns,(Design and Engineering of firearms is amazing) just the cavalier attitude expressed by some. Truly an AWESOME experience, relish it.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the comments and stories everyone!

After telling my story enough times and talking to several professionals, I'm convinced that the lion was indeed hunting me. The way he acted, even stopping when I turned around, are signs that he was on the hunt. They go for the easy kill; if they are spotted on the stalk then they will stop and look for another opportunity to come in undetected. -- I've had several people say that "if he was really hunting me, then I never would have seen him", I think this borders on superstition..lol. Mountain lions are not magical creatures with some mysterious power allowing them to always attack without un-detected. They are just very good hunters, and masters of stealth. I never heard a twig snap or anything! -- These are living, breathing, and bleeding creatures just like the rest of us. I turned around, very luckily, just in time to stop the original attack.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know.....

You said you heard nothing, if that what a more experienced cat....
That superstition might have rang true! Glad it didn't, we don't need a
"Where as Dan W been post" !

One thing for sure, being in a place like that.....where you are not apex,

It's a life changer. More folks could use that!

Be careful Dan!

Sorce

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wlambeth, where is "down here"? Most people up here would say the same things you have.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a heads up for anyone interested. I wrote an article about collecting and the story of this encounter. It will be published in the next ABS Journal!! I'm excited, and I hope you all enjoy reading it. :D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just a heads up for anyone interested. I wrote an article about collecting and the story of this encounter. It will be published in the next ABS Journal!! I'm excited, and I hope you all enjoy reading it. :D
Very cool! Congratulations Dan, look forward to reading the article.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
As a UK resident it's so strange to read this - people carrying guns... v few people have them here - mainly farmers, police and criminals.

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's pretty darn intense! I've seen a couple of them while hiking in Arizona, but never quite like this. Hubby and I had a weird experience while rockhounding agate in Payson, Az where we both felt stalked by something and booked it out of the woods, even resulted in firing a warning round into a large tree just so we'd have safety when unloading into the car.

When hiking in Az it was decided that we NEVER go unarmed. I think it should be standard protocol when collecting trees in any rugged area... Especially while hunting that illusive Malladori around Christmas ;)

Top Bottom