Collecting in Albuquerque, NM??

DenisL

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi forum, anyone know of any cool places in the greater ABQ area, where there is potential to find a good looking stone? Rio Grande? Arroyo? Socorro? I would like to hear from someone that may know...cheers!!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Go west, toward Grants. You will see signs pointing toward the Malpais National Monument. The National Monument covers a vast ancient lava flow that covered that area. YOU CAN NOT COLLECT INSIDE THE MONUMENT but there is no restriction in collecting stones in BLM lands surrounding it (you need hard-to-get permits to collect living stuff, such as trees). Both red and black lava is common. Wear heavy shoes or boots. The rock is sharp and will tear up a pair of sneakers in minutes.

The rocks you find are probably not suitable for suiseki, but they make great bases for root over rock trees.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Type?

The majority of the rocks within New Mexico are either sedimentary (usually limestone or sandstone) or as jkl said lava rocks. Individual areas that are going to have some kind of interest rocks are either state or federal parks. They are sometimes bordered by BLM land or private land where you can collect but not always. City of Rocks is not a bad place with an abundance of fused volcanic ash. You might be able to find some small specimens in legal areas that have been smoothed by wind and dust.

If you are specifically looking for smoother, more polished rocks, I would suggest trying next to the Rio Grande from about Bernalillo north. Additionally, if you can find a lava flow (usually in the back woods) where the lava flow met the river, you might be able to find acceptable obsidian or jet (State Road 152). This is generally in the center of the state though. As far as north goes, you might be able to find something at the foothills near Sandia Park and the Sandia Mountains. Otherwise, you could also check north near Los Alamos in the Valles Caldrea area. You are still going to primarily get igneous type rocks but you might be able to find metamorphic at the edges where it meets the limestone/sandstone

Also, as a reminder, please do not take rocks off of a Park area. The same precautions mentioned above also go. Additinally, please make sure and take water with you, know the region, tell someone you are going, and if you go during the months of April/May-August/Septemeber, please watch out for our scaled neighbors.

Last edited:

DenisL

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you both!!! If I indeed have a personal day on Saturday I am going ot check some of these places out, if only for some nature walk and nice pictures...

Top Bottom