Collecting in British Columbia, Canada

scottfro

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to go out collecting in BC and I'm curious about the legalities of collecting from Crown Land. I've done a bit of searching but haven't really found much beyond harvesting a Xmas tree being legal near roadways. Does anyone know what is legal on Crown Land for bonsai collection purposes?

Thanks!

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Folks,

I'm looking to go out collecting in BC and I'm curious about the legalities of collecting from Crown Land. I've done a bit of searching but haven't really found much beyond harvesting a Xmas tree being legal near roadways. Does anyone know what is legal on Crown Land for bonsai collection purposes?

Thanks!

Contact the Ministry of Natural Resources. They're quite quick on responding to emails too, if you don't want to use the phone.

From what I gather, it's ok as long as it's not a provincial park, protected land/species, or private property. And as long as it's along a hydro corridor or utility road or roadside. But don't take my word for it. Contact them. They'll let you know.... oh and one more thing, most likely another stipulation is that you can't use machinery to dig, be able to carry out by hand (or back) and only for personal purposes - not resale.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should add, explain what you want to collect and why you're collecting. I found the MNR to be quite friendly and informative and quick to respond.. well at least here in Ontario. Also various tracts of Crown Land fall under different county regulations so it's not a one size fits all answer. Be specific about where you would like to collect and they'll let you know Yay or Nay.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crown land sounds like a good place to find trees.
Unless you are a peasant.

I've never seen a Canadian named Scott with a fro!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

scottfro

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, gave them a ring but was only able to leave a message for now.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC is divided into forest regions and the regions divided into districts. Contacting the district office in your area of interest is your best bet. Some districts have some regs in place for plant collection/ wildcrafting type activities many don't but can grant permission if they chose.
Where are you? Send me a pm if you don't want to say here.

scottfro

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in Vancouver and would likely collect in the Squamish, Pemberton area.

Top Bottom