Collecting in Colorado...my trip

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon collecting Ponderosas yesterday. Seems the trees always look smaller in the wild. I got five Ponderosas yesterday and potted them up in wooden training boxes as soon as I got home. Although these are great trees I think I'll concentrate on smaller ones on my next trip. It was a great experience and I look forward to my next trip. All were very easy to dis-lodge BUT the hardest part was carrying them back to the car. Cheers! Dave in Colorado:D

Attachments

• !cid__0525011927.jpg
    !cid__0525011927.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 242

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yamadori

Bill..... I figure Yamadori folks would sell these Ponderosa for between $300-$1000 each so my ten dollar permits are a true bargain. I have until May 31st when the collecting season comes to a close so maybe one more trip will be on the agenda. Smaller trees this next time though. DAve

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like you dug some good trees. Now comes the hard part...aftercare. You need to let these old trees recover for at least several years before any styling is done. The only thing I would do other then watering and fertilizing them is to photograph each one and post the photos here so I can stare enviously at them. Good luck,

Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like you dug some good trees. Now comes the hard part...aftercare. You need to let these old trees recover for at least several years before any styling is done. The only thing I would do other then watering and fertilizing them is to photograph each one and post the photos here so I can stare enviously at them. Good luck,

Dave

Exactly what he said. Also, your price estimates seem appropriate enough. Good work.

Dave

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
More collecting

Just received an email from my bonsai friend and he is planning another trip this weekend so I'll get the lumber I need to make training boxes today. My wife thinks this is getting way out of hand. Oh well.........;)

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just received an email from my bonsai friend and he is planning another trip this weekend so I'll get the lumber I need to make training boxes today. My wife thinks this is getting way out of hand. Oh well.........;)

I would gather that many of our wives think this hobby is getting out of hand. I know mine does!

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great finds! I cannot make out all of them but the front right tree looks to have a very interesting trunk line.

My dream is to collect at least one wild tree in my time, I am trying to find out if California does the permit thing as well maybe this fall/spring my dream can come true :)

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Z Trunk

Yes the one on the right has a great "Z" trunk and the diamter of the base is almost three inches to give you some idea of the size of the pine.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I would gather that many of our wives think this hobby is getting out of hand. I know mine does!

this hits close to home for me as well. Everytime I bring something new home I'm asked if I already have enough. I've begun sneeking trees into the lanscaping for development to "hide" how many I actually have.

jeff

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
The Final Haul

Today marks the official end of the collecting season in Colorado and yesterday was my final hike through the boulder fields and rock outcroppings to take home a few more. I came home with four more Ponderosas yesterday along with sore feet and legs. The final tree came up bare root and no soil pad so I am not sure it will make it but keeping my fingers crossed. That makes 9 trees for the year and on only two trips. Now to the hard part.......after care and survival.:cool:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I do not know your experience so please forgive me if I assum you do not know this: It is vitally important, especially with those trees with little in the way of roots, that you stabelize the trunks so that the wind does not blow them around and fracture newly forming roots. You will have to do this carefully to make certain you do not damage the bark in the process.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
I do not know your experience so please forgive me if I assum you do not know this: It is vitally important, especially with those trees with little in the way of roots, that you stabelize the trunks so that the wind does not blow them around and fracture newly forming roots. You will have to do this carefully to make certain you do not damage the bark in the process.
They are in the most protected area of our property although we do get heavy winds in Colorado. Thanks for the reminder Vance.

Top Bottom