Collecting in late August?

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
A few of the newer members in my club would like to collect trees and some of the members aren't available until later this month. I'm not sure if this is a good idea to collect at this time in my climate. I have collected honeysuckle in August before but they are pretty hard to kill. The trees we would be looking at are hophornbeam, hackberry, and honeysuckle. Thank you.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Unless someone proves me wrong I'd say:
  • Deciduous trees are collected either in early spring when the buds start swelling or autumn when the leaves fell off. I prefer spring because if you collect in autumn you should ensure protection from freeze damaging roots that the trees produce this time.
  • Summer is used for collecting evergreen trees that go into summer dormancy to save water. In that time newly produces leaves (needles) are already mature enough and also buds for next year are formed.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Summer is very risky to collect any type of tree.

Compromising the root system during the heat of the summer when the roots are needed most for water transport will very likely be a death sentence

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be very cautious about August collection, particularly for beginners. Honeysuckle will most likely live regardless, but hophornbeam and hackberry in your area will be challenged not only from initial collection, but overwintering in Minnesota. What is likely to happen with both species is once collected, they begin growing new roots and top growth, only to be frozen before either of those harden off to handle winter conditions. If you're only digging seedlings and can get all their roots and no top reduction, then things might work out (but what's the point of collecting seedlings--collection is about getting older, weathered trunks...) Overwintering in heated place will only make things worse, as new growth will continue, but won't be able to sustain itself out of season in a darker or completely dark location indoors.

Why not wait until spring? Are the trees endangered by development, etc.?

Patience and respect for the living things you're digging up and taking responsibility for are important parts of bonsai...

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Collecting in late winter or early spring (depending on area) is key. Spring is ideal because it gives the roots an entire growing season to recover along with following proper care. Fall collecting is good too because fall is very active for vascular root tissue growth , once senescence of leaves is underway, energy is being stored back into the vascular system (roots , trunk) from all the metabolic activity from photosynthesis in the form of sugars and starches. Only thing with fall is , it has to be cared for once it starts to freeze such as heating pad , greenhouse or storing in a area for recovery that won’t allow the roots to freeze so you can water and recover the specimen.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Kahless
Late winter is certainly the best for collecting.

Summer collecting will have a high failure rate, maybe 50% to 70% or even higher. This high failure rate can cause beginners to give up, or worse, to focus on the seedlings which do survive. Best to mark trees in summer. Little strips of surveyor's tape tied to trees, use different colors to mark different species, should work. So use the summer field trip to scout for winter or spring collecting.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Up here, in the Arctic Circle...🤣🤣

I’ve found Autumn collection to be easier.. simply because the ground is thoroughly thawed...

Certain “early-budding” species have to be dug out of frozen soil if spring collecting where I live... so I switched to mostly autumn collection.... I still end up pulling a few volunteers in spring.. but MOST of my collection, now.. happens in Fall... but DEFINITELY not August... that’s still Summer..

All that being said.. aftercare is the MOST IMPORTANT variable!! You gotta KNOW how to take care of a tree after collection.. and these parameters CHANGE with each passing HALF-season...

I collect/am in the woods all the time/meticulously research species-specific aftercare methods/have NO limit to the time I can spend with my plants to GIVE said aftercare...

Aaaand still.... when I’ve tried summer collection.. I’ve noted about 30 percent survival rate...

I don’t recommend August... but you ARE cold like me... so FALL collection, comes highly recommended. (Also makes ID easier.. pull when the tree STARTS losing leaves.. but still has some “holding on”.... Bright shade for 5-7 days ((or until it loses the remaining leaves))protect from frosts and freezes, paying SPECIAL attention to the BOTTOM of the pot)

🤓

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I can definitely wait until spring and usually do. I just needed confirmation that it was a bad idea before I told new members that were excited for collecting that it just wouldn’t be best for the trees. I started a new club in my area and I sometimes need a second opinion before I make decisions since I only have 2 years experience. I guess I knew the answer all along.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I can definitely wait until spring and usually do. I just needed confirmation that it was a bad idea before I told new members that were excited for collecting that it just wouldn’t be best for the trees. I started a new club in my area and I sometimes need a second opinion before I make decisions since I only have 2 years experience. I guess I knew the answer all along.
Always trust yourself..

The human brain is capable of intuition in” god-like” proportions..

Your first, instantaneous, seemingly subconscious choice/answer... is almost always the correct one.

🤓

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm also in a colder climate, and have always had much better survival rates, even with conifers, with spring collection than at any other time of year. I've been told that that's "wrong", usually by people who live in more temperate areas of the US or Europe, but I don't think other times of year give trees long enough to recover before dormancy. You also don't want high temperatures and rapid transpiration to place too much demand on the roots while they are re growing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd do it if you can put them in the ground.

Grab good Honeysuckle and Poor others and see what happens.

Sorce

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
(but what's the point of collecting seedlings--collection is about getting older, weathered trunks...)
You gotta understand the struggles of the novice bonsai practitioner who wants to practice taking care of seedlings/young trees without having to pay for them :p I still enjoy seedling hunting (I have a few pines marked) so I can experiment with methods of care.

Once someone is "good" at the hobby, seedling collection might be a waste of time but for a novice, the seedlings don't take up much room and they give us something to do so we don't waste all our money at nurseries haha

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
August is fine if you know what you're doing and know they you can get a huge root ball and the species is very tough and your winters are mild.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh he was saying IF.. all those things.

:)

I just cannot relate to any kind of Mild winters... neither can OP (and others)

I think Michael Check (🤣) was just saying that IF those criteria ARE met...

Err’body knows we are icicle people!

🤓

Top Bottom