Collecting in Pennsylvania

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can someone provide any names of folks who are experienced in collecting in Pennsylvania? I'm interested in learning the skills directly from someone whom would be able (and willing) to teach. I'm willing to pay, so fee or no fee is fine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Trial and error is your friend in bonsai.

I have dug up a few over the years and made mistakes on timing, and others I'm sure.
Currently I have one native Hornbeam and a Sugar Maple that I dug up from the wild.
Both were dug up this spring, 2019 and potted in lava and pumice after having about 90% of their roots removed.
Even though its gonna get up to 90 degrees today, Autumn is in the air and it appears that both trees survived a harsh summer quite well.

I dug up a Crab Apple last Autumn....I was eager to play in the dirt and curious about Autumn time collecting.
The tree seemed ok the rest of last year and all through winter, it was still green under the bark this spring, but it never leafed out and dried up crispy.
......So I won't be doing that again....timing is key.....early spring before buds open seems to be the time to do it for most trees.
After care is discussion worth having as well.

Do you have some specific questions in regards to collecting a specific species?

I'm sure the forum can help you some....but they need specificity.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well that's why I was hoping to tag along with someone. I don't have specific species stuff in mind because I figured I would be able to just go and find something and begin learning. I'm not in search of one specific species. One of my main questions is how far one can travel with one after collection. I just want to get out with someone I can converse with and learn what to look for and how to find things. I know a couple people with good wooded acreage i would like to walk around this spring so I just want some "training" to prepare.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well that's why I was hoping to tag along with someone.

I don't know that tagging along with someone is going to make much positive difference.

Truth be told .....

There's a lot of people that will collect anything, have few Morals, and quite simply, shouldn't be collecting at all.

Truth truth.....

This is a GIANT moral responsibility if one gives a shit about bonsai as a whole, the environment, and their own collection, as far collecting only good trees goes.

No one seems to give a shit about bonsai as a whole, the environment, or their own collection.

It's more about making a buck most of the time. Which, well, this is philosophy....

The act of Selling and how we are advertised to, has a greater effect on us than morals.
It's fucking sad.

That's why there are so many shitty fucking trees out there.

Meanwhile..... @Walter Pall Swiss friend makes better trees from scratch!

We are wasting our time.

Problem with humans is....

We don't understand time well enough to know not to waste it.

Sorce

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know that tagging along with someone is going to make much positive difference.

Truth be told .....

There's a lot of people that will collect anything, have few Morals, and quite simply, shouldn't be collecting at all.
The hope though was to find someone who IS good and does care about doing it the right way.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hope though was to find someone who IS good and does care about doing it the right way.

But you won't know!
No one will know!

Teach yourself!

1. Should I.
2. Could I.
3. Would I. (Be able to provide appropriate aftercare)

3 honest yes' and you're in business, or..lol..not in business!

The problem is the amount of 2 oughta 3's.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collecting with others is more fun, in my opinion, than going alone. It's safer too if you're going out away from civilization. Check with your local clubs. They can probably hook you up with someone. And they can give you the details on doing it right, ethically and legally.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@sorce : at the risk of threadjacking, I’m playing Devil’s advocate here because philosophy is phun:

Is there a really a moral difference between buying a nursery tree and practicing bonsai on it and carefully digging a wild tree and practicing bonsai on it? Not talking about resale value.....Is there more intrinsic value to a decrepit tree in nature vs a healthy tree in a nursery?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@sorce : at the risk of threadjacking, I’m playing Devil’s advocate here because philosophy is phun:

Is there a really a moral difference between buying a nursery tree and practicing bonsai on it and carefully digging a wild tree and practicing bonsai on it? Not talking about resale value.....Is there more intrinsic value to a decrepit tree in nature vs a healthy tree in a nursery?
I am not getting into that argument lol.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Meanwhile..... @Walter Pall Swiss friend makes better trees from scratch!

We are wasting our time.
Juerg Staehil is the Anthony of Europe.

And @PABonsai , I'm really good with identification of native trees but very rarely collect. And frankly have no business helping anyone collect because of that. BUT... If you really seriously want to tag along with someone I have a lead. If you visit Chase Rosade in New Hope (he's a local bonsai legend with a cool garden) you can ask him who his friends are that constantly collect. He told me about a friend, or two I think, a duo? anyway they colect constantly every weekend wherever they can.

Here's the rub though, Chase himself mentioned "getting permission" wink wink nudge. Sorce is onto something when he talks about morals and finding the right guy. Sometimes I wonder how legally folks are really doing things when they are "expert colectors". But that's for you to decide, not me. I have my own beliefs and everyone has theirs.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well that's why I was hoping to tag along with someone. I don't have specific species stuff in mind because I figured I would be able to just go and find something and begin learning. I'm not in search of one specific species. One of my main questions is how far one can travel with one after collection. I just want to get out with someone I can converse with and learn what to look for and how to find things. I know a couple people with good wooded acreage i would like to walk around this spring so I just want some "training" to prepare.

Get out and walk around your friends wooded acreage this fall while leaves are still on the trees. Look around, find trees or shrubs with smaller leaves or iterating trunks, take twigs and leaves of these plants back home with you and identify these tree/shrub species. Do research on on these species that you’re interested. American hornbeam, hawthorn, etc. all grow in PA. There’s plenty of info on these forums alone on collecting these species. Clubs sometimes organize collecting trips. Or maybe you can meet someone at a local club willing to give you guidance. That’s your best bet. But on some level you’re asking for someone to show you exactly what to do. That’s going to be tough to find this, probably even more so in the east coast. You gotta be willing to put in the time to explore the woods yourself and do your research regardless of someone collecting with you or not. Just get out I. The woods and see what is there. That’s the best place to start. Good luck!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Get out and walk around your friends wooded acreage this fall while leaves are still on the trees. Look around, find trees or shrubs with smaller leaves or iterating trunks, take twigs and leaves of these plants back home with you and identify these tree/shrub species. Do research on on these species that you’re interested. American hornbeam, hawthorn, etc. all grow in PA. There’s plenty of info on these forums alone on collecting these species. Clubs sometimes organize collecting trips. Or maybe you can meet someone at a local club willing to give you guidance. That’s your best bet. But on some level you’re asking for someone to show you exactly what to do. That’s going to be tough to find this, probably even more so in the east coast. You gotta be willing to put in the time to explore the woods yourself and do your research regardless of someone collecting with you or not. Just get out I. The woods and see what is there. That’s the best place to start. Good luck!
Thanks Mike. I am definitely willing to put in work. It's just that I've read over and over again in other threads the suggestion to learn the skill from someone experienced in person before attempting and killing trees. I am a much better hands on learner, so I just need someone that can be like "don't do that, do this instead". I see it like any skill or knowledge. I can probably learn some things or most things through reading but having a teacher will provide 5x the benefit. I mean we learn stuff from others all the time, which is why nurseries are always having demos and studio and styling sessions. Because sometimes it's best just to learn from someone who knows the topic.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I'm more talking about morals for bonsai.

People dig shitty trees because they can be dug. They jump from the 1.should I, right to 2. could I.

People Buy shitty trees because they don't think, or spend time findng a good one, maybe they just want to test their hand with a species.

The point is....

Sub par shit needs to be fucking burned!

As far as Earth Morals ......

If we stop digging and buying shitty material, we can't deplete nature.

Sorce

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry for all the typos my big thumbs don’t get along with iPhone keyboards very well 😂

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Mike. I am definitely willing to put in work. It's just that I've read over and over again in other threads the suggestion to learn the skill from someone experienced in person before attempting and killing trees. I am a much better hands on learner, so I just need someone that can be like "don't do that, do this instead". I see it like any skill or knowledge. I can probably learn some things or most things through reading but having a teacher will provide 5x the benefit. I mean we learn stuff from others all the time, which is why nurseries are always having demos and studio and styling sessions. Because sometimes it's best just to learn from someone who knows the topic.
Sure. I can get behind that. But you may as well get out there and start evaluating what your area has to offer. Even with a teacher you will kill trees. It’s part of collecting and part of bonsai, keep that in mind.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm more talking about morals for bonsai.

People dig shitty trees because they can be dug. They jump from the 1.should I, right to 2. could I.

People Buy shitty trees because they don't think, or spend time findng a good one, maybe they just want to test their hand with a species.

The point is....

Sub par shit needs to be fucking burned!

As far as Earth Morals ......

If we stop digging and buying shitty material, we can't deplete nature.

Sorce
Sorce, Is this what you are suggesting to do with sub par trees?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think your best shot is joining a club. Many/most will not give out info on their collecting areas.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Join a club. Go on a collecting trip with them. Easy.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Join a club. Go on a collecting trip with them. Easy.
I've joined the Susquehanna Bonsai Club. But their meeting schedule seems to be very spotty, so we will see. I hope so.

Top Bottom