collecting in reno and colorado

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
hi
I'm going to go out west to hunt some yamadori this spring, and i want to know the correct month to collect in each or these areas.... both the reno/Tahoe area, and also the front range mountains near Denver
thanks

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Haven't been to Nevada in more than a decade, though I was born in Carson City. Not too much I can say there.

@Colorado Lives in the Denver area, and is much more experienced than I am, so he might chime in.
I'm way down south where the Front Range ends, and depending on what you're looking for you either want to be here in the next few weeks, or April. We have our last frosts as late as May. Often right now is the time, and you would've missed your window, but it's been a decent winter so we've kept everything fast asleep for you.

As an aside, it seems our pinions (pinus edulis) are becoming more popular. I've killed ALLOT of these. The geology essentially requires they be bare rooted at transplant in many scenarios. My best luck with them has been collecting in autumn just before the first hard frost. My theory so far is they hit dormancy before the root damage can kill them outright, and have opportunity to repair some over the winter.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Fyi... The Lake Tahoe area can have snow into May/June. I've gone hiking there in the first week of June to be forced back due to deep snow. Best to check before-hand.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, we just got about 5” of snow and it’s still coming, so not any time real soon :)

It really depends on the elevation of the particular area where you are planning to collect. Obviously the lower elevations will be accessible (snow melted) earlier than relatively higher elevations.

Many of the 4x4 roads don’t even open until June, so that is something to consider too.

Good luck!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The elevation thing has been brought up a couple times, so I figured I'd throw in a thought or two.

In the mountains our concepts of seasons are relative to what you're used to, and what you're looking for, but spring is spring everywhere regardless. Spring just might be an awful time for collecting some local species, but most are at the same point of readiness within a month of each other regardless of geography. They're evolved that way. It might feel like changing seasons when you change elevation, but the same holds true for walking around to the other side of the hill sometimes. And when you change positions like that, you usually change species too. So I say April is your best shot at a compromise month for the whole of Colorado unless you have somewhere/something very specific in mind.

I'm just trying to prevent overload when someone's trying to plan a trip that is ostensibly a vacation of some sort.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I checked on my intended collection spot in Colorado today. At 8,600 ft the aspen buds are swelling, but the ground is frozen.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I checked on my intended collection spot in Colorado today. At 8,600 ft the aspen buds are swelling, but the ground is frozen.
Not uncommon. Like I said, spring is spring, but that doesn't mean it's the right time.
I personally find late summer/early fall the best time all around. Second best for some species/locations, best for others, but full accessibility across the board.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
hi
I'm going to go out west to hunt some yamadori this spring, and i want to know the correct month to collect in each or these areas.... both the reno/Tahoe area, and also the front range mountains near Denver
thanks
Are you planning on getting permits for the Reno/Tahoe area? I've heard that it is difficult to get them in that area.

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Any update on how collection from this trip?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
ill be heading back to this area this spring, saw some nice pines last year
I'm heading to the area in May, any advice or tips?

I've only collected bin Colorado & south Dakota

Top Bottom