Collecting in Wintertime...?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Dav4 whats your reasoning behind that? I learn best from conversations with those more experienced and knowledgeable than me... I don’t just want your two cents, I want the whole dollar ?

So the trees are still absorbing something through the roots (pathogens potentially included) even when frozen solid?
No, because water doesn't move there isn't much going on, . But micro organisms can move.
The water thaws eventually, and then the microbes will start moving more and more. But the tree will still be dormant for some time and have little exchange with the soil. Spring usually doesn't happen in a day, but microbes can multiply in a matter of hours (in cold environments). So the plant will be leaking juices, the microbes will grow, but the plant will have a hard time defending itself.
From that perspective, winter collection is not the wisest choice. It can be done, and it can be done with success. There's just a bit more risk involved.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good information on a subject that I need to learn about also. Thanks all for contributing. Peter

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are a couple issues here to also consider. First, not all energy is stored in the roots as Ryan Oneil spells out repeatedly in his FREE YouTube videos. Some confierois species store a lot in their needles, others store energy in vascular tissues throughoutt the tree, and yes some store it in their roots, while some do all the above. As Zach said he collects in mid-winter but he is in Louisianna and the OP is in New Hampshire. Zach probably only has a 2 month winrer whereas in NH it is more like 6 months. So if you dig a tree in mid-winter what will you do with it for several months, especially if you get protracted warm spells and the plant starts wanting to grow then get a cold spell that zaps you and the tree back to reality. Last winter I collected in February when we had a long period of 60-70 degree days. Then I had to move them back and forth between the garage and outdoors the rest of the winter every time a cold front came through. This may be more of a problem in mid-temperate zones that the far north but normal is no longer normal so don’t plan on it. Be patient and wait until late March-early April and do it right.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that many people are missing the point that this varies by location and how hard the winters are in said location. Korea and Japan collect in late winter because the groubd has already thawed and once buds break trees explode into growth. It is all about timing.....which comes with experience......
I think its common sense not to be digging through ice.......
Location, location, location......
Figure out the growth patterns and seasons in your area.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So I would like to get something clarified. I was under the impression that one always tries to collect in early spring, while the trees are still dormant, and it has not started to bud or grow yet. I am getting the impression from reading some of this that it is best to wait until the tree shows just a little bud pop or green and then collect. Could someone clarify that please? Thanks, Peter

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I would like to get something clarified. I was under the impression that one always tries to collect in early spring, while the trees are still dormant, and it has not started to bud or grow yet. I am getting the impression from reading some of this that it is best to wait until the tree shows just a little bud pop or green and then collect. Could someone clarify that please? Thanks, Peter
The reason why some prefer bud break and a bit of green often has to do with the species. New growth mean added photosynthesis coming on stream quickly. One key to successful collection is timing the collection so root recovery can occur quickly! just coming out of dormancy with reserves and new foliage coming on stream is ideal.
This varies from location and year by year with climate variation. What is April and May in some areas can be the end of June in higher elevations or further north. It is best o get to know your own area, species and the pattern that work for local experienced collectors in your area.

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it is important to understand that roots don't go completely dormant in winter, like the rest part of a tree (above ground). They do grow in winter, for a very small amount, as long as the soil temperature is above freezing. Here's the link about roots activity in fall and winter.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwijhLy_4b3gAhVptosKHcUiB0MQFjAAegQIBxAB&url=https://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/what_do_tree_roots_do_in_winter&usg=AOvVaw1e3rIEGQ9ceyAJH8C1_8WK

You can still go for late (or even early) winter collection but keep in mind that trees collected that way are in a weaker state then trees collected in spring and it will take a few more weeks, or in a worst case even a season, to recover their vigour.

Top Bottom