Collecting Lakeside Eastern Redcedar and Carpinus Caroliniana

Muchas_Plantas

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a/
I just got back from a little trip to Rocky Ridge lake in Southeastern Missouri, And while i was there i found a very impressive little corner that was blasted to create a waterfall and gravity drain for the lake. this was done back in the early 1900s, so there are some really incredible north american hornbeam, buttonwood and eastern redcedar growing from rocks, a whole lot of character and age, very prime collection material. i have permission to collect

My question is, the hornbeams seem to have leafed out already. most everything is either in mid bud push or fully leafing out at this point. I am concerned that collecting at this point would be dangerous, does anyone have experience with collecting juniper or hornbeam mid springtime? I have collected a lilac and other deciduous mid spring but those things are very resilient. im curious will a hornbeam survive a mid leaf dig. I dont want to jeapordize the life of these beautiful trees but also really dont want to have to wait an entire year to collect them. i know i could do with some success in fall. thanks for any insight!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have collected fairly old eastern red cedar in the summer and it was fine. As far as the hornbeam you'll probably have to just wait. They're already known for dying back after collecting

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just got back from a little trip to Rocky Ridge lake in Southeastern Missouri, And while i was there i found a very impressive little corner that was blasted to create a waterfall and gravity drain for the lake. this was done back in the early 1900s, so there are some really incredible north american hornbeam, buttonwood and eastern redcedar growing from rocks, a whole lot of character and age, very prime collection material. i have permission to collect

My question is, the hornbeams seem to have leafed out already. most everything is either in mid bud push or fully leafing out at this point. I am concerned that collecting at this point would be dangerous, does anyone have experience with collecting juniper or hornbeam mid springtime? I have collected a lilac and other deciduous mid spring but those things are very resilient. im curious will a hornbeam survive a mid leaf dig. I dont want to jeapordize the life of these beautiful trees but also really dont want to have to wait an entire year to collect them. i know i could do with some success in fall. thanks for any insight!
The cedar will depend on the elevation and location. If the roots are still fairly dormant or just waking up then the timing will be ok. However if new growth is pushing on the frond tips then I would wait till fall.

Top Bottom