Collecting landscape bald cypress....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have to get it by next weekend, any chance it will live or am I wasting my time....? I live in the North Ga area. They were planted from seedlings 10 years ago. Even if it will live does it look like it would be worth the effort....?

roof%2B037.jpg

Brian

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I may be partial to BC here but I would absolutely go for it. Get as much of the rootball as possible and don't stress it any more than collection. They are really tough and will most likely survive.

What's the story? I'm always interested when BC are concerned. Keep us updated!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Accept the challenge

I say go for it. BC back bud pretty well from my experience,..just think of the dead wood possibilities!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm, without a better picture of the lower 3-4' of the trunk, I can't be totally sure, but what I can see doesn't rev me up much. For me, a bald cypress needs a great flare at the base and descent taper from that flare up through the first 3-4 feet. If it doesn't have that, +/- something quite unique, I'd pass. I see a lot of work for a tree that probably won't survive anyway (no experience here collecting them in mid November, but you'd have to keep the tree from freezing through the winter, I'd think), and not a lot of potential. Brian, keep looking, the cypress you want are out there.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
CL ad for some free bald cypress....They are not used that common down here for landscape trees so I figured maybe they were really leyland cypress but the homeowner knew what they had. The story goes...10 years ago they were given 10 seedlings at an Arbor Day event. They are now growing too close and they are looking to take a couple out. I'm not even going to have to get rid of the tops they said they were just going to cut them down anyway so I can leave the brush. They were just going to give away the logs. That's a win-win for me. I'll take a few pics as I dig and get them back home.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dav....I really don't mind the hard work and I did pretty well last year keeping the Yaupons alive even though they were dug the wrong time of year. Even if they don't have much bonsai potential they will give me the opportunity to work with BC.

On a side note are you going to be at Smith-Gilbert next Saturday....? I plan on stopping by and would like to shake a hand and put a face with a name.

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dav....I really don't mind the hard work and I did pretty well last year keeping the Yaupons alive even though they were dug the wrong time of year. Even if they don't have much bonsai potential they will give me the opportunity to work with BC.

On a side note are you going to be at Smith-Gilbert next Saturday....? I plan on stopping by and would like to shake a hand and put a face with a name.

Brian

Yes, I'm planning on being there at least for the morning and hopefully longer, and I'd love to meet you and show you around the bonsai collection.. It should be a good day, and the Atlanta Bonsai Society is holding it's meeting there that day as well.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'll be there early....I'll have a long day ahead of me....Look forward to meeting you.

Brian

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd leave it alone. No taper within the sectionof trunk that would become bonsai.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hmmm, without a better picture of the lower 3-4' of the trunk, I can't be totally sure, but what I can see doesn't rev me up much. For me, a bald cypress needs a great flare at the base and descent taper from that flare up through the first 3-4 feet. If it doesn't have that, +/- something quite unique, I'd pass. I see a lot of work for a tree that probably won't survive anyway (no experience here collecting them in mid November, but you'd have to keep the tree from freezing through the winter, I'd think), and not a lot of potential. Brian, keep looking, the cypress you want are out there.

Brian...From the one pic, I am with Dave on this one...I typically look at several 1000 BC before I find 1 worth collecting. Free is nice, but it doesn't guarantee you have anything bonsai worthy.

I am also looking forward to the Day of Bonsai at Smith-Gilbert. I suspect it will be noon or so before I can get there.

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In my limited experience, the flare on landscape BC's is about 4" to 12" below the soil line. BC's in wetlands only have the flare visible when the water table is low. Soil line on this landscape BC was about six inches below the live branch. Just my two or three cents worth.

Attachments

• DSCF1963.jpg
    DSCF1963.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Vin...If I could end up with something that looked like that I would be thrilled....I'm going to dig it Saturday after spending some time at Smith-Gilbert seeing some trees and shaking a few hands. I did finish a training pot for it tonight that I made from an old crate I got from the office.

fall-2014-bc-pot%2B010.jpg

fall-2014-bc-pot%2B009.jpg

Brian

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks good! You may want to have a larger alternate container close at hand just in case. I would excavate the soil around the base before committing to any plunge cuts on the roots. Good luck and be sure to show us some after shots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Free and "what the hell" go great together for me!

Like 7 and 7, nice pop machine!

I was thinking what Vin brought up, flare from the earth!

Go for it!

Sorce

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I need this one deeper that will be an easy fix.....It's 24" inside dim and the sides are 2X6's.

I got the 7up machine about the same time I started bonsai....Needless to say it has been put on the back burner. It does work I just have it tore apart now to re-wire it, clean it up and shoot a coat of clear on it....Then I'll try to sale it to a rat-rod guy.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Best part of today's adventures was the fact that my wife decided she wanted to tag along....Up until today she has showed pretty much no interest in bonsai.....We got a late start so we didn't get to the Smith-Gilbert Gardens till around 11:00...Sorry Dave I didn't get the grand tour or a handshake....I figured you were one of the 3 Dave's that were in the demo Rodney was giving.....I had already committed to showing up for the BC dig between 12 and 1 so we had to sneak out of the demo.....I'll post some pics we took at Smith-Gilbert in another thread.

The dig went well, but as usual I broke a few tools. Total time was around 3 hours. The 4X4 came in handy when at my wifes advise I decided to just finish the dig by pulling it out of the hole. Vin you were right the trainer pot was not big enough.....I had to add a 2X4 for extra height. I cleaned up the the broken roots and with the help of my kid I got it potted up tonight...Thanx Devin for the help.

Here are the pics.....

bc-dig%2B030.jpg

bc-dig%2B032.jpg

bc-dig%2B033.jpg

bc-dig%2B035.jpg

bc-dig%2B038.jpg

bc-dig%2B039.jpg

bc-dig%2B043.jpg

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a BIG one:eek:...I'll be interested to see how it fares for you. I'm also sorry we didn't get to meet...though you know what I look like now. I was the big, funny looking guy who was cleaning and wiring the tree while Rodney talked...we'll meet up sometime, I'm sure.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yep....I figured that out after reading your update to your old Smith-Gilbert post.....I have plans to help it survive if it decides to pop new growth...Even if it dies I now know what I'm up against the next time I get the opportunity to dig one.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are a couple of more pics in the daylight....

bc-dig%2B054.jpg

bc-dig%2B053.jpg

bc-dig%2B052.jpg

bc-dig%2B051.jpg

Brian

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome job! Digging something like this is worth the work. Hope it takes off for you come spring. Good luck!

Top Bottom