Collecting lantana in zone 9a in November

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hurricane Ike washed some Lantana seeds onto my land. Right now I have 2 multi color Lantana bushes 4-5 ft in diameter. I'm about to do winter cleaning and clearing of my back yard. Will it be OK to collect lantana in November for zone 9a? I really want to dig them out since they are growing right at the base of my dock and I need to keep the area clear.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think spring is better, but if you have no choice..

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hurricane Ike washed some Lantana seeds onto my land. Right now I have 2 multi color Lantana bushes 4-5 ft in diameter. I'm about to do winter cleaning and clearing of my back yard. Will it be OK to collect lantana in November for zone 9a? I really want to dig them out since they are growing right at the base of my dock and I need to keep the area clear.

Could you just transplant (keeping as much if roots possible intact) to another area, and truely collect at a better time? If so, probably better to go this route.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Could you just transplant (keeping as much if roots possible intact) to another area, and truely collect at a better time? If so, probably better to go this route.
I think I'll dig up the one that my dearest says must go. The other one did not receive the "death sentence" so it will live until spring :)

The base of the one I must dig up is a multi trunk bush with a base around 8 inches and 7-8 trunks each about 3/4" in diameter. I don't quite know what to do with it yet other than knowing that I must dig it up.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cajunrider, in what city are you located? I have a similar interest in some nice lantanas close-by. I'm in the Donaldsonville area.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The base is in the weeds somewhere .
20181030_174621.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm anxious to see if yours makes it. I decided just to wait until spring to dig the ones I found. Spring is never too far away when you're in Louisiana, right Cajunrider?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Tin
20181104_152908.jpg
I'm anxious to see if yours makes it. I decided just to wait until spring to dig the ones I found. Spring is never too far away when you're in Louisiana, right Cajunrider?
Not really. I think they will grow just fine. They are weeds around here.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Myself, I would have cut those woody trunks much shorter, they will back bud.
I thought the same. The length was cut when I collect. I'm going to cut them shorter tonight. Right now I'm thinking 4 to 6 inches. The right one on the tin pot will be cut below the branch to eliminate the inverse taper at the side branch.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Got them cut short to proper length I think. I'll post pictures once they start to back-bud.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The budding has begun. The red spaghetti tub is full of rocks as the first step in neagari development. Soon I will cut the four corners off and allow the roots to escape and form the final root base.20181108_214239.jpg20181108_170334.jpg20181108_214233.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
New buds are always encouraging. Are you planning to leave them outside for the winter? I don't know how hardy fresh growth is in our winters.

I picked my neighbor's brain on lantana care. She normally cuts them way back in winter and they come back very well in spring. I didn't ask her about new growth going through the winter, though.

I'll definitely dig up several on the roadside this spring. The best couple will go into a pot and the rest into the yard for the butterflies.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmmm… Never heard of Cream puffs, and I'm from Belgium, maybe they mean Profiterollekes. Strange :p
Nice project none the less :)

Top Bottom