Collecting Mugo "Shrubadori"

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all,
I've found a nice mugo pine landscape "yamadori" in my neighborhood. It's a mature tree with about a 6" diameter central trunk and a foliage circumference of perhaps 30". The growth seems slightly stunted. I'll try and get some pics up soon. Because about half the tree has died back I've managed to convince the owner to allow me to replace it for them. I'm not sure on the cause of the die off although the owner informed me the tree had been uprooted a few years back, which may have to do with it. I've read that Mugos seem to appreciate being repotted in mid-season, as in July or August. Considering I'm replacing this with another Mugo, when would be a good time to do this kind of swap-out?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
From what Vance wood has talked about re. mughos root growing period being mid summer, I would say that time would be when you would do the digging, I have the same kind of plan, mine aren't that big though.

Plan ahead and have some big grow boxes ready, a trunk that big is likely to have some big roots to get thru, and they are tough. It will be a workout.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
And we've all had the experience of starting to pot up, or repot, a collected or purchased tree only to discover that the container we planned to use is too small!

You might do what I did with my ponderosa: build a grow box for it, "toot sweet," once I saw the root system. I'm sure a mugo could stand to soak in a tub of water for a few hours while you did that. I'd have the lumber ready and handy, if you choose to go that route.

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I tracked down an article by Vance Wood on Mugos. Thanks for the tips. Took a couple of pics earlier. The trunk diameter is actually closer to 5" but I'm very excited just looking at these pics. No roots are visible though so who knows what lurks below. I do plan on building a grow box for it, so I'll have some wood ready. I'll keep you all posted when I yank it up. Cheers!

Attachments

• mugo1.jpg
    mugo1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 133
  • mugo2.jpg
    mugo2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 121

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I tracked down an article by Vance Wood on Mugos. Thanks for the tips. Took a couple of pics earlier. The trunk diameter is actually closer to 5" but I'm very excited just looking at these pics. No roots are visible though so who knows what lurks below. I do plan on building a grow box for it, so I'll have some wood ready. I'll keep you all posted when I yank it up. Cheers!

If it is possible have the box with you when you dig up the tree. Mugos do not usually have deep tap roots, they tend to be shallow rooted but I suggest you remove some of the dirt from around the trunk just so you know where the roots begin to form, and not dig to shallow a root mass. Once the tree is harvested let it rest for at least two additional growing seasons before you start to work on it. I dug one like this a number of years ago in mid August when the temperature was near 100 degrees. The tree did not lose a beat, needle or color.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I to am diggin one like this sometime this summer. I've never built a grow box before so I'll have to find a instruction on how one should be made.

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
"Grow Box"

A grow box or training box is simply a wooden container or box that is easy to make. I usually use 1x4's but that depends upon the size of the tree. In the bottom of the box you will want to cut drainage holes that should be at least 1 -1 1/2 inch diameter and do at least four of them and then cover them with wire mesh and secure with wire as you would a bonsai pot. Also drill about four or six holes to accommodate the size wire you will need to secure the tree. Dave in Colorado:cool:

Top Bottom