Collecting - Northern Red Oak Spring 2019

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally got around to editing the limited footage I had from collecting an oak this spring (and an elm... that didn’t make it). Continuing to learn through experience.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My oak grew well post collection. Roots are developing nicely.

1 year from collection now, and while another year must pass before working the roots at minimum, I want to address the deadwood.

I know that deciduous typically do not feature deadwood; though Shari is used for carving on the trunk (I have a dawn redwood that is encouraging this style)... would love to hear thoughts from this community on this please!

Sentimental value for me as it was collected on my grandfathers property. Commercial property (think strip mall) and a few acres of forest out back - I have no doubt that he massacred this tree himself with the Kubota tractor or brush hog. The fracture runs down the trunk (see slant to the right picture - right hand side of the trunk and now fillled with cut paste).

So my thinking is while I love the deadwood on this, I need to begin encouraging a new trunk. The shoot I’d like to encourage needs room to grow back to the right into the area that the deadwood occupies. I can still have the “story remnant” of the tree with the fracture down the trunk/Shari eventually.

So time to saw this off and rebuild. Any thoughts? B272FC27-0B47-4BBA-A607-A9165A7CD205.jpeg4538592E-8ADA-4422-8E1E-832516D69A07.jpegEEEE104F-7225-47F3-88A5-F3EC7EB92EA3.jpeg

Attachments

• 5AF870B6-F28C-4458-B747-7D7885478D6F.jpeg
    5AF870B6-F28C-4458-B747-7D7885478D6F.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 5B90ACC8-B6EA-43DB-B5F8-93DB8277368F.jpeg
    5B90ACC8-B6EA-43DB-B5F8-93DB8277368F.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 23

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That deadwood looks nice. I like it, and it has a story.
If it were mine, I would leave it and let it rot off in it’s own time, or try to slow that process down somehow.
if nothing else, it will give you a daily look at natural deadwood shape and wear patterns if you ever do any carving.
I really like oaks and hope to see this one again after a few years.
it has great character.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That deadwood looks nice. I like it, and it has a story.
If it were mine, I would leave it and let it rot off in it’s own time, or try to slow that process down somehow.
if nothing else, it will give you a daily look at natural deadwood shape and wear patterns if you ever do any carving.
I really like oaks and hope to see this one again after a few years.
it has great character.
Thanks for the input. I will be sure to update! Great point on the 'deadwood education.'

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you could use "Paint" or some edit program and point out which branch you want to make the new leader? Or leaders, plural.

I like the deadwood, it helps with "telling a story", and until you have a clearly defined leader (single trunk) or 2 or 3 leaders (informal broom style) you need the deadwood to serve as the logical extension of the trunk.

To make room for a new leader, you can split the deadwood vertically, and just remove a section of it. Leaving room for the branch to expand and bark to roll over into the space where the deadwood is.

You might try drawing what you see as the future for this tree, then photograph the drawing and post if you like.

You don't need any low branches to thicken up your trunk, it is thick enough as is. So no low "sacrifices", any branches you are keeping will be for potential inclusion in the design. In which case, SHORT INTERNODES. Most of the branches are long and straight. The ones that are not destined to become the next segment of trunk should be cut to just one or two internodes of length to force branching, changes in direction and get some gnarly movement into this relatively straight tree.

For the branches destined to become the next segments of trunk, you need growth. You also need movement. Here wire can add the movement into the tree. You could prune back to just a node or two, but that would just slow the process down of developing a trunk. So use wire instead.

Those are some rough ideas. What do you think.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Virts attached... not a great design but a quick sketch of concept. Also attached photo of leader I would like to encourage ... thanks as always @Leo in N E Illinois .

the more I consider this... removing the few branches I had planned to (agree with your plan for those not included in final design being taken off now) the more I think with those branches removed; there will be enough sun for increased growth in that spot without having to remove deadwood now.

I still have this idea that the only way for bark to begin to expand over the deadwood area is to remove it entirely/carve/dremmel it down into a concave shape. Is that just incorrect?BAB2C793-3FA2-44FE-9DFF-97FDB1536FA5.jpeg60D916D8-C238-4644-9093-9A66B96D3A63.jpeg

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here it is today.
summer of last year, I noticed the deadwood had become quite rotted. I opted to carve out all the rotting wood.

unfortunately, what was left wasn’t much. This tree got blown off my bench while I was out of town in 2019 (heavy thunderstorm with 50+mph winds) - and I believe the impact from the deadwood hitting the ground extended the dead area / fracture further.

I still love this tree. The resulting carving back to live wood ended up creating a heart shape. The original deadwood was created by my grandfather with a brush hog - he has since passed. So it is special to me!

This tree is destined for going back into the ground, or at least a large grow box, next spring. The leaves are just too large, so I need to grow this out further. I have multiple apexes to choose from and will make those decisions next spring. It’s growing very well! 3 years in this pot and can’t wait to reveal more of the nebari and see how the roots have grown.

the awkward piece here is that the carved out section leaves two separate sides of remaining live tissue. I’d like to keep them both for now, both sides have growth.
D8B7CD01-36BD-4B1C-929B-0911B69342C7.jpeg94935506-89C3-4C82-993E-FE0648057ABF.jpegB7C61D97-BBE2-4858-9084-B42F5E6F8A50.jpeg2EC3D516-CF2C-422C-A4B1-4CB79B42B570.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the awkward piece here is that the carved out section leaves two separate sides of remaining live tissue. I’d like to keep them both for now, both sides have growth.
Love seeing the progress (and ups and downs) of this tree. I recommend embracing that awkward (two sides) element. IMO, that's the spirit of this tree leading in that direction. Very nice!

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love seeing the progress (and ups and downs) of this tree. I recommend embracing that awkward (two sides) element. IMO, that's the spirit of this tree leading in that direction. Very nice!
Thanks for the input! It will be a long journey with this one. I’m going to keep the two sides for now. Very awkward at the moment!

Top Bottom