Collecting on Canada's West Coast

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey fellow Nuts.
Had a great day on Saturday collecting with one of Western Canada’s most prolific and successful collectors. He’d reviewed the latest Google Earth photos of an area we’d collected before but had found another “promising ridge” to check out for Shore Pines (Pinus Contorta contorta).
Unfortunately as we rounded the last corner……the Private Landowner’s logging crew (Grapple Yarder and Line Loader) was working (stocking piling)….so somewhat disappointed, we had to settle for a couple of smaller areas we had spotted on the drive up. We didn’t find any large ones but some nice medium sized and lots of “mini” ones that I’ll use in future landscapes or forests.
Here are a couple of shots: First one - before, wrapped with moss, lastly - shrink wrap'd ready to go.

Attachments

• Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 402
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1 - ready for wrapping -1.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1 - ready for wrapping -1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1 - Wraped.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #1 - Wraped.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 397

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Collecting on Canada's West Coast cont'd.....

Next one, another medium sized one with great ramification....

Attachments

• Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - packed and ready .jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - packed and ready .jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - Future Vision .jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - Future Vision .jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 360
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - Details -Future Vision .jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine Antons#1 - Details -Future Vision .jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 340

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Collecting on Canada's West Coast cont'd.....

Here are some shots of a future Cascade? - that our little helper "Ernie" found for me (tree in bottom left corner of photo) and one of a natural bowl burl - douglas-fir complete with lichens.......we also collected some limestone pieces but they are being cleaned and I'll show the in another thread.
Cheers
G

Attachments

• Sept 04 - Oyster River - Ernie .jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River - Ernie .jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 350
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #2-Cascade - Base detail.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #2-Cascade - Base detail.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #2-3 - Cascade before.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River Shore Pine #2-3 - Cascade before.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River - D-Fir Natural pot.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River - D-Fir Natural pot.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 336
  • Sept 04 - Oyster River - D-Fir Natural pot -front.jpg
    Sept 04 - Oyster River - D-Fir Natural pot -front.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 334

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That has to be one of the best places in the west to collect, love that shore pine.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
image.jpeg 6 Year Update.
The tree has survived and has been growing at a fairly steady rate, some back budding has helped and the major branches are setting in. Here is a before shot .......some minor trimming and de-wiring (larger wire really digging-in especially at the apex).

View attachment 112432

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ghues would you please tell me the dimensions? Height and trunk diameter are of particular interest to me. Thanks!

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice, a 6 year update, cheers for you to remember this thread and post fresh pics.
I would put some bend into lower half of the trunk so the tree would get a bit smaller and more interesting. Anyway nice find, and congrats on keeping it alive.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
image.jpeg
@ghues would you please tell me the dimensions? Height and trunk diameter are of particular interest to me. Thanks!
Hi Parhamr, thanks for you interest.
The base is 3" and height is just over 30", here is a photo showing the base and a scar that was probably made by antler rub or perhaps a rock rumbling down the slope as it was on a very steep slope below a large rock outcrop/bluff.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, a 6 year update, cheers for you to remember this thread and post fresh pics.
I would put some bend into lower half of the trunk so the tree would get a bit smaller and more interesting. Anyway nice find, and congrats on keeping it alive.
Klosi Thanks,
I appreciate you making the suggestion but the tree does have slight movement all the way up. I wanted this tree to be an informal upright, portraying its most natural form.....as these pine are usually tall, straight and thin.
Here is another angle (pre-work) that shows the movement mentioned above.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 240

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm also in the native range for these trees and they're definitely tall and thin in the wild.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graham it is always a pleasure to see some coastal collecting photos. I am looking forward to a VW camping trip out that way next summer, I miss it too much! Your collecting partner, is it possible he writes a blog? I have read some great articles from a prolific collector out on the coast.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Graham it is always a pleasure to see some coastal collecting photos. I am looking forward to a VW camping trip out that way next summer, I miss it too much! Your collecting partner, is it possible he writes a blog? I have read some great articles from a prolific collector out on the coast.
Yes, that's him (Anton Nijhuis), my mentor who has decades of collecting experience and he is well known all along the west coast.
G.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Anton has collected some nice trees for some time around Vancouver Island. I believe this is one of his trees.
Could a tree have more character? This is the stuff of dreams!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anton has collected some nice trees for some time around Vancouver Island. I believe this is one of his trees.
Yes, Anton did collect this one. It is now sitting in Michael Hagedorn' garden, who posted a photo of this giant on his blog and has plans to work on it and will post the transformation....hopefully this fall/winter. G.

Top Bottom