Collecting opportunity

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know a person that has a nice piece of forrested land outside Knoxville Tennessee and has given me permission to collect anything I like. I am going there in 2 weeks to look it over while everything is still in leaf and easier to identify then I will mark them and come back in late winter to collect. I am not super knowledgable when it somes to identifying trees in the wild but am going to give it a go. Trees I know make good bonsai and are found in this area are privet, hornbeam, bald cypress and hackberry. Any other southern trees you recommend? Is is crazy to just take anything with small leaves and decent trunk? I think I have down the nuts and bolts of harvesting from research is there any advice to make the most of this adventure as this is my first collecting from the wild. Thanks!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the first 6 inches off the ground isn't interesting, I move on.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good luck! Excited to see what you mark for your return trip to retrieve...must say...I look at people's yards and the woods in a different aspect now...focusing on the lower end of a trunk.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have a smart phone? If yes, then you should download a free GPS app. Something like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mictale.gpsessentials&hl=en

You can then easily return to the spot you find trees you'd like to collect.

A cordless reciprocating saw is going to make the dig MUCH faster and easier... that is until your battery runs out. It'll save your time and your energy for humping those trunks back to your vehicle. Prepare your soil before you go digging. Prepare more than you need. The worst thing is getting half way through a potting only having to run out to the store for some more pumice.

Be picky! Nebari first, movement second. It's a lot of work to go through for mediocre trees right?

Take pictures. Because we'd like to see 'em.

B

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice friend to have!

Depending on how big the property is, you might need to set some criteria for focusing your search. I think it's most productive to search edges rather than a uniform forest - edges of streams, pastures, disturbed sites, logged areas, utility easements tend to have more trees with movement. Flood plains of streams have the added benefit of softer soil and easier collecting. You can use google maps satellite views to narrow your area, and check with topographical maps on sites like Mytopo, to make sure you're not walking off a cliff. I second the recommendation for a cordless reciprocating saw, and I'd add hophornbeam to your tree list. All of those trees should be identifiable without leaves once you see a few. Great fun!

Brian

Top Bottom