Collecting Pinus Resinosa

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone,

I'm considering to collect American Red pine/Norway pine (pinus resinosa). They're on rocky ridges in my area. They have uniquely red fissured bark and irregular shapes. I would like to know more about the species and how it would respond to bonsai cultivation. So if anyone had some info or any experience with this species, I'm looking forward to reading your replies.

T

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I don't have any but a friend has a collected one. All I can say is they take well to container cultivation, but don't expect much in the way of needle reduction.

If they have truly interesting trunks and bark, and can be collected safely, I would say go for it. They may be more suitable for larger sized bonsai, like eastern white pine (P. strobus).

Grafting might be something worth considering, perhaps with Japanese red or black pine.

There just isn't much info out there on the species, so if you get a nice one, consider yourself a pioneer :)

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for any bonsai cultivation info I can find on them, and no luck so far. The ones I saw in the nearby mountains have naturally shorter needles due to extreme growing conditions, but I'm wondering if the needles will go back to being long after it grows in a container.

Is there any way I can contact your friend for more info??

T

Top Bottom