Collecting question?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So my friend is letting me dig on his property, I have found some nice dogwood and either beech or hornbeam to close for me to tell the difference between the two. Some of the trunks are 6” or larger and some are smaller, but the trees are over 6ft tall. So;

1) how low do I cut the tree?
2) I assuming before buds break, or can I in winter?
3) after collection does it go in a big pot or small enough for it to barely fit?
4) how long do you keep it out of sun after?

Thanks sorry for so many questions just want to get it right, keeping things alive isn’t the problem it’s the collecting that I’m trying to learn.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Chop to a couple inches bigger than your desired height, allow room for die back. Also look for dormant buds on the trunk, (bumps) that will give you an idea where branches might pop. If you have a low new leader consider cutting to that. It'll save some time instead regrowing a new one. Step two dig up, completely bare root it, removing large roots. Try to cut the bottom flush it you can. I tend to cut back to some fine feeder roots and smash it into the smallest container I can. Think of other this way. Once the tree fills the pot with roots it can then start becoming vigorous. A large pot will take longer than a small one... Do all of this at bud swell in the early spring. I am on Maine zone 5 edge of 4 the sun isn't too intense that time of year so I go directly into full sun. They say shade for a couple weeks after collection but I go right for it. Full strength ferts too. Right off the rip.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I live in Asheville and am not planning any collecting until just before bud break. If you collect in winter you have to be able to protect the trees roots from freezing. That can mean trotting them in and out of an unheated garage with the chance of root damage every time you move them. All of which can lead to failure. Also I have collected trees with diameters ranging from under an inch to 6”, all the bigger ones failed, possiblly as a result of the above. I dig a trench 8-10” out from the trunk and use a portable reciprocating saw to cut through the big roots and tap root. Get the tree into a pot or wood box ASAP. I use a mix of pumice, stalite, and bark. I have collected in my neighbors yards and in the Pisgah Natl Forest (get a permit). This spring I will be lifting 1-3 yews and 2 wisteria from a neighbor's yard, and various natives from the Natl Forest.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I was leaning toward just before bud break but wanted to check about winter first. I’m glad to see someone is near me so I could get a example of what mix people use around here, what is stalite and where do you get your pumice? Someone said five season carries it but haven’t checked yet, I have been using Napa 8822-chicken grit and pine bark. Some trees get a little peat moss because of my water schedule is not consistent due to work, but I was going to try pumice next spring.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I get the pumice at 5th Season on Tunnel Rd. Stalite is heat expanded slate produced over near Charlotte. I get it at Jesse Israel’s garden center out at the big farmers market. It basically is a type of haydite. My organic fraction is Natues Helper from Lowes. I sift everything to pass a 1/4” screen then a 1/8” screen and keep the 1/8-1/4” fraction. This is basically what they use out at the arboretum. They mix the pumice and stalite 1:1 then mix that with an organic fraction in various ratios depending on the species.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that helps a lot. I didn’t want to start a soil war but was curious what people in the area was doing good with. Is there anywhere around here to get mica pots? I can make wooden boxes just didn’t know if there was any places to get mica pots. Do you make the wooden box’s deep for collected trees or just measure for a good fit?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Jessee Israel has mica pots but I order most of my stuff from Stone Lantern or Dallas Bonsai. I have used both wooden boxes and plastic collanders. I looked around locally but the best collanders I could find were on Amazon. I build my boxes out of pressure trested 1x6 or 1x8 depending on the depth I want. I have also used the deep plastic training pots that both the above internet dealers sell.

Top Bottom