Collecting Rocky Mountain Juniper

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Jason (and the rest of you that have experience with this species) I have a favor to ask. Has anyone written a primer of any type on collecting this species? With topics like what time of year is best, Care of the tree leading up to collection, best practices while collecting, and of course a plan for transitioning the tree into training once it has been collected. Complete with as detailed of a time line as possible.

As it stands I am quite ignorant in the ways of collecting but I have access some excellent collecting areas in Colorado. I am wanting to become as educated as possible, and make a plan for a possible collecting trip.

It might be a great topic to post up on a blog once all the feedback is sorted through.

Thanks a million!

PS: The same would be great for Ponderosa and Pinion

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eric, not sure about here at The Nut, but w/ patience I think there is some good stuff at BT, pm me w/ your email and I will go thru some things I have saved and send you some write ups on word doc.s that might be what you are looking for, just don't have time to check it now.
Bill

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Milehigh - Check your messages, I sent you a section of a thread by Al Keppler that I copied and filed away, it's a word file but I don't have it's origin, but it's either from here or BT.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Milehigh - Check your messages, I sent you a section of a thread by Al Keppler that I copied and filed away, it's a word file but I don't have it's origin, but it's either from here or BT.

I replied to the PM, and thanks again! I am looking forward to reading it. Al has a great way of explaining things and I have learned so much from him.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
could you pm me that article as well?

Thank you!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nick Lenz' book "Bonsai From the Wild" has a chapter devoted to how to collect this species and a few other Western trees.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yenling, jquast also asked for the files in my library, pm me with your email addy so I can send you what I have.

Top Bottom