Collecting Season in Colorado

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Collecting or as the Forest Service calls it, Transplanting will begin in the Colorado high country April 15 until May 31st. Dig permits are $10.00 each tree with a maximum of 10 trees. This allows collectors to dig trees in National Forests which would be suitable for bonsai. I have not been before but our local club is organizing a collecting trip for later this month and maybe also May. I asked many of the members if they had ever been disappointed on their collecting trips and they all said ....NEVER. They seem to know all the prime spots ao I hope to bring back a load of trees this year. Dave / Colorado Springs :cool:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Go Get 'Em!!! Send photos! Remember to bring bear repellent and some lunch...I forgot last time out that way...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm...bragging is so unbecoming ;)

Seriously, good luck with your dig. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do this one year myself :D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hmm...bragging is so unbecoming ;)

Seriously, good luck with your dig. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do this one year myself :D

I wasn't really going to reply...until I noticed my number of posts and decided I better add one more for good graces...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Collecting or as the Forest Service calls it, Transplanting will begin in the Colorado high country April 15 until May 31st. Dig permits are $10.00 each tree with a maximum of 10 trees. This allows collectors to dig trees in National Forests which would be suitable for bonsai. I have not been before but our local club is organizing a collecting trip for later this month and maybe also May. I asked many of the members if they had ever been disappointed on their collecting trips and they all said ....NEVER. They seem to know all the prime spots ao I hope to bring back a load of trees this year. Dave / Colorado Springs :cool:
I'm going to Colorado springs this weekend.... any advice where I should hunt?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just had record snowfall. Should be gone in the Springs by the weekend.....but ground will be a mess!!!o_O

Top Bottom