Collecting Sub Alpine Fir Vancouver Island

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_0820.JPG The collecting window can be brief for this species. I collected one this spring as early as the site could be accessed safely and before bud break. June 25th, had to move the melting snow away from the area. Then i collected one this fall after the growth had hardened off and dormancy from the summer dry spell had set. September 28. The growth period approximately 2 to 2 1/2 months. Here is a set of pictures showing the site and process with the spring collection.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    757.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    551.3 KB · Views: 101

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That thing is brutally perfect. I dream of retiring on Vancouver island

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too cool, I tried to grow some from seed a few years ago. In hind sight it was a foolish newbie thing to do. The seeds never germinated anyway haha. Our climates are quite different

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.
I dug one a couple years back, pic was this summer, seems to have collected well. I'll probably start lopping some bits off next summer, get a better idea of what's there.
I'd like to go after more, I've noticed that every now and then I see one with excellent basal flare. They seem to grow those nice big bottoms more often than other conifers for some reason, have you noticed that too?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 70

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.
I dug one a couple years back, pic was this summer, seems to have collected well. I'll probably start lopping some bits off next summer, get a better idea of what's there.
Just from the picture, looks like a broken top with strong branching growing out and up from the break. nice potential and likely some cool deadwood area.
I'd like to go after more, I've noticed that every now and then I see one with excellent basal flare. They seem to grow those nice big bottoms more often than other conifers for some reason, have you noticed that too?
I have, the trick seems to be finding the flare associated with collectability and suitable size for collecting. Also is often associated with a really strong dominant root, making the collection trickier. The more i see collecting the fewer i deem collectable. The last few years it seems one or two per year of any type. Often one just enjoys the outing and comes home with a light backpack.
The triple trunk i collected in June this year has a nice basal flare on the largest trunk. The overall height and the three apexes are reducible which will in time make it a nice size of approximately 34 inches with appropriate proportion between the three trunks.

Top Bottom