collecting sweet olive

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We're selling my mom's home and she has a sweet olive with a double trunk planted in the ground. The larger trunk is about 2" in diameter. I realize it might be a little late to collect it now, but it's my last chance. I would probably replant it in the ground with as much of the root ball as I can handle. Any suggestions?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We're selling my mom's home and she has a sweet olive with a double trunk planted in the ground. The larger trunk is about 2" in diameter. I realize it might be a little late to collect it now, but it's my last chance. I would probably replant it in the ground with as much of the root ball as I can handle. Any suggestions?
Is it pushing leaves?

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey Joe, I'm in sw ga., my osmanthus has not started yet. If that one hasn't started new growth go ahead and take it up

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
/Olives love the heat. I repot mine in summer.. So I would say you are rather too early then too late. If you can, just trim the roots, chuck it in a pot and provide bottom heat untill spring is going full swing?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The buds are just opening up. Some 1/4" long leaves. Forecast is for mid to high 40's at night and mid to high 70's during the day for the next week. I'm also wondering if I should prune it back or if I can get away with a trunk chop.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The buds are just opening up. Some 1/4" long leaves. Forecast is for mid to high 40's at night and mid to high 70's during the day for the next week. I'm also wondering if I should prune it back or if I can get away with a trunk chop.
At that stage it's all systems go.......cut it back and get it now or you'll have to wait.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I guess it's now or never. I'll dig it and try to root as many cuttings as I can just for insurance. Thanks.

Top Bottom