Collecting trees from wild care.

youngbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone, im very new to bonsai but In the short time ive been doing it im ready to jump in head first. What are some after care tips to consider after collecting trees from the wild. What are things I should watch for? Things like sunlight, watering etc...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

Start with a list of what you plan on collecting. Different species have different needs...during and after collection.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Make sure it is legal and you have permission to collect where you are planning to collect as well as the species you are collecting.

Dave Leppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to B-Nut!

Start with a list of what you plan on collecting. Different species have different needs...during and after collection.

and different species should be collected at different times of the season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In Florida... Your collecting season is pretty wide since most of the wild trees are temperate. Bald cypress and such are pretty easy collects if you have them in your area. As with most trees, the key is not to be in a hurry. Work on a collected tree often doesn't begin until 2-3 years after collection. Everything is subject to circumstances, but haste isn't your friend in this. :cool:

There's a fairly large bonsai community in your state, have you connected with a club yet?

Kindly,

Victrinia

youngbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
In Florida... Your collecting season is pretty wide since most of the wild trees are temperate. Bald cypress and such are pretty easy collects if you have them in your area. As with most trees, the key is not to be in a hurry. Work on a collected tree often doesn't begin until 2-3 years after collection. Everything is subject to circumstances, but haste isn't your friend in this. :cool:

There's a fairly large bonsai community in your state, have you connected with a club yet?

Kindly,

Victrinia

Yes I have joined up with a club...i had my first meeting last month and looking forward to the next meeting with a thousand questions. Since it seams my question was broad can anyone post a link where I can resd up on this subject. Thanks.

Dave Leppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
The best resource I know of is the book Bonsai from the Wild by Lenz. Unfortunately, he writes from the regional perspective of New England, and things will definitely be different in Florida. Still probably a good read for you.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Stay with the club, you'll find collectors that will invite you along.

Best,

Augustine

Top Bottom