Collecting up North - Larch & Thuja

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20210103_104427.jpg
A planting angle change will emphasize the dead wood I believe.
One of the two apexes can be bent down to the left hand side to make a zig zag. Or to the right and do something different.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 347528
A planting angle change will emphasize the dead wood I believe.
One of the two apexes can be bent down to the left hand side to make a zig zag. Or to the right and do something different.
Absolutely think increasing that angle is key. Maybe Sticking out over a rock face is the “setting.” planning to increase it to some extent. Appreciate the input!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1609682096591.png

Since you brought up Lenz, maybe a more extreme planting angle would be a nice start? I wonder, if over time, the upright base might become a bit "boring" to your eye.
Tempting to try and use everything there, but, I think in the future you'll run into taper issues.
You can carve movement and character in the trunk over the years as you link up the deadwood to your carving.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 347536

Since you brought up Lenz, maybe a more extreme planting angle would be a nice start? I wonder, if over time, the upright base might become a bit "boring" to your eye.
Tempting to try and use everything there, but, I think in the future you'll run into taper issues.
You can carve movement and character in the trunk over the years as you link up the deadwood to your carving.
Lance and his drool worthy tree images 😂 Lentz trees are so neat. Love his book.
Thanks for the input... the base is definitely straight / not exciting. It was only slightly angled in the ground at collection, increased it just a bit when potting it. I do like the thought of carving it up longer term.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you favor a taller, more graceful tree image. But "growing it up" in to your virtual might take a drastic prune or two as opposed to growing on....

As mentioned earlier, if it grows a bit too vigorous, your nice aged bark sloughs off due to the quicker growing juvenile bark beneath. Time-ly to re-grow/replace...

not my video, but did see this tree...once past the Shimp'....

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know you favor a taller, more graceful tree image. But "growing it up" in to your virtual might take a drastic prune or two as opposed to growing on....

As mentioned earlier, if it grows a bit too vigorous, your nice aged bark sloughs off due to the quicker growing juvenile bark beneath. Time-ly to re-grow/replace...

not my video, but did see this tree...once past the Shimp'....
The Shimpaku ain’t bad either! And is kinda in the vein of where I should take this tree, and the larch the deadwood/caving themes. Thanks for sharing.
You’re spot on re: my preference - or moreso my brain needs to open up to cascade/sharp angles, especially with the way larch appear (conifer styles). Definitely concerned about growing too much of new trunk/branches - just won’t match up. This sucker is probably 50 years old and the bark is very gnarled.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The American larch, Larix laricina, does not "submit" to cascade styles. Even branches usually do not droop much below horizontal. At least the trees I've seen. You might be okay with descending branches, you might not. The European and Japanese larches tolerate cascading and or descending branches a little better than the American larch. But none of the larches are "easy" to turn into cascades.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brad, I do like your proposed virtuals. They could work, though I wonder if you would succeed with the descending branches. Though your designs with the branches more close to horizontal would still work.
Thanks Leo! You’re mostly referring to the growth habit of our American Larch, correct? Makes sense. Driving through miles of them in the UP this fall, not an extreme ‘alpine’ look of those mature tamarack, to be sure.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for watching - we shall see how many survive of the few that were collected. I likely will return next fall - I otherwise have several other larch in varying stages. Check with me come spring time? Feel free to reach out on here or on Instagram (@greatlakesbonsai), we can figure something out. 👍

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
While "inverse taper" is viewed as a "Fatal Flaw" in exhibition quality trees, it is a relatively easy issue to fix in any tree that one plans to allow the trunk to increase in diameter.

I even wonder if (if) some "bonsai" with "inerse taper" at one point or another couldn't be remarkable trees that a lot of people miss for too much respect for the norm. Mind you, we're not speaking of my trees! 😄

Some Chinese "penjing" have this kind of "fault" and yet have the quality of a work of art.

(No time to search for examples)

I Iike a lot Bard in GR's virtuals too, think that's what I would do...

Er, Brad, not "Bard" 😜

Welcome to year 2021. Peace. And love. Not lies... 😑

Last edited:
Top Bottom