Collecting Wester Juniper help needed

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have been reading a lot on the forums about collecting conifers and some deciduous in the fall after dormancy sets in. Can I assume that this would be after freezing spells and shorter days that will put most of the trees into dormancy? Can one successfully collect Western Juniper this time of year after we get some freezing spells do you know? How critical is it with root cuts/trimming when collected? Help appreciated. Peter

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know anything about your topic, but dormancy is a function of time rather than weather. Plants have a cycle, in their own zone, generally: begin growing in spring when the number of dormant days required has been satisfied and growing conditions allow, grow new foliage and flowers, ripen seed, and grow buds for next year. When all these tasks have been satisfied, they are ready to become dormant. Coincidentally, the sun is becoming less intense and the length of day is shortening which brings lower temperatures, and in most places the weather turns drier. All these things in combination slows growth to zero. By October 1st in Oregon all growth has ended regardless of whether the deciduous leaves have fallen or not.

Plants grown out of their native range sometimes can't satisfy all the growing season tasks and do poorly because they're not done when the weather and sun conditions short-cut ripening seeds and then growing buds for next season. The very last task is maturing buds for next year, but that doesn't start until the seeds are ripened. That happens a lot in Azalea grown north of their range and the result is they enter winter weather not quite ready for it. In their native zone they have a longer number of days of active growing and fewer number of days of dormancy. Waking up too early in the north is bad enough, but going to sleep before buds are set for next season means no flowers. BUT, no flowers means no seed to ripen so they have time to set buds, giving them flowers every other year. Cut the flowers off after blooming short-cuts seed ripening, and everything's fine. Deadheading makes everything grow better.

This is general statement about dormancy and there are slight variations around the world due to local conditions.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have read, that some do collect in autumn, or early winter. I have read this most frequently in relation to larch. Late winter, or early spring is the ideal time, but you can have acceptable success at other times of year. I say, go for it. Take notes. See what percentage survives. There are no absolute rules.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A well known Oregon collector times the peak of his Rocky Mountain yamadori hunts around August and September. I know that’s for pine, fir, and spruce, but I’m not sure if he does it for juniper in the fall, as well. Many of our native species are definitely compatible with fall collection!

I’m only familiar with successful Western Juniper collecting from April through June. I’d try a trip now!

On government land in Oregon you can obtain “no limit” permits for Western Juniper, as they’re considered unwanted and junk because they compete for limited water with grasses.

Go chat up the folks at a ranger station (the seasonal employees should be done, so you’ll be talking with the veterans!) and you’ll probably get a pretty good permit. I forget if they’re good for a calendar year or a full 12 months. Happy hunting!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks parhamr for the input. If the "well known Oregon collector" is collecting in the Rockies in August-Sept, he is probably collecting at a lot higher altitude than I am (6000-7000' for me) thus he would be collecting earlier than me. The US Forest Service collecting permit system is a mess in my opinion, at least in Baker City, Oregon. Last year it was $20.00 for 20 trees and good spring through fall. This year they determined the start of collecting with the amount of snow up high, thus eliminating trees at a lower level, AND they cut the collecting time to two week from the date on the permit. If you want to collect more, pay the fee again for another 2 weeks and go to it. I tried to talk to them and the conversation was to stupid for me and I had to get out of there! I'm not sure if it was the local office that dreamed up the plan or if it was nation wide.

Top Bottom