Collecting Wisteria 3-7-20

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got access to this Wisteria, there is a much larger one about 4 feet away and I think this came up it, you can see above ground roots between the 2.
IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_3250.jpg

Seems everything I dig does not have much roots, but one big tap. This has more than some I have dug.

IMG_3254.jpg

I cut it back, I think it really needs to be cut back about 2 inches more, above the large root to the right. But these bottom 2 roots had some nice fine roots. Once it is growing I plan to cut above them.

IMG_3266.jpg
Put in some old Brussels soil and will see what happens.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice dig. I would have removed more of those tap roots though....force new roots higher.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you look online most wisteria bonsai are in deep pots anyway so the tap root may not be excessive. Also height is not an issue either as you will want to have it so the flowers can cascade down for better viewing.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you look at the first picture in this post you will see the buds are already on the branches that I left. They opened this week, I know this does not mean the tree is growing, just energy that was in the trunk. But at least is did not just die.

IMG_3478.jpg
There is new growth at the top and 2 shoots at the bottom and now I see 2 more in this picture. Again I know this may just be stored in the trunk but it is better than not seeing the new shoots :cool:

IMG_3480.jpg
Wisteria grow wild in our area, they are in the trees along the road, growing to the top. I pass by a group every day on my bike ride. If this one works out I will contact the owner and ask to dig a couple next winter, they are not close to their home.

Reaction score
Really nice work! What program/app do you use for the editing?!?!?!

Beautiful background

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jonathan, Thanks for the compliment. Now sure if I understand about the editing. Pictures were taking with IPhone, copy to pc via USB. Then right click each picture and select "Send to Email" then MS Outlook opens with the pictures as attachments. I select the higher quality but that is still really low so it does not cause upload problems, then I click the picture and save to a Upload folder for that group of pictures. That's it , no editing of the picture. The background is my yard, if you look close you see my 1986 Toyota :) but Thanks

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jonathan, Thanks for the compliment. Now sure if I understand about the editing. Pictures were taking with IPhone, copy to pc via USB. Then right click each picture and select "Send to Email" then MS Outlook opens with the pictures as attachments. I select the higher quality but that is still really low so it does not cause upload problems, then I click the picture and save to a Upload folder for that group of pictures. That's it , no editing of the picture. The background is my yard, if you look close you see my 1986 Toyota :) but Thanks
That thang really popped off with some blooms! Looks beautiful. Excited to watch this one refined and settle in...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That color is spectacular, unlike the native's I've seen which are washed out light blue to white with pinkish tips. I would buy a small one?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will be fine, if you keep the soil wettish, not soggy, but well-watered. I;ve collected a few of these over the years. They're wild here too. I've also found that substantial trunk die back comes with the post collection territory. Let it go the next two seasons with no pruning. Forget the blooms for the next two years--they can become spotty to non-existent once these are containerized. Takes some merciless pruning down the road to get it back.

Right now your priority is to keep as much of the trunk alive as possible. Unrestricted growth will help that (BTW, you probably know this, but keep this away from the house and off the ground--unless you want this to tear your siding off and invade your yard)

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
rockm
I know what you mean, they will take over. I planted a small pencil size in the yard near a pine and it's a battle. Also have one that my wife started from seed and got tired of it so I work with it now and it has never bloomed, I read they don't bloom for first 12 years. I think it is at least that old but has been in a pot the entire time, just did root cut this year for a shallow pot.
Forsoothe, some are not as dark color but this was is.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
rockm
I know what you mean, they will take over. I planted a small pencil size in the yard near a pine and it's a battle. Also have one that my wife started from seed and got tired of it so I work with it now and it has never bloomed, I read they don't bloom for first 12 years. I think it is at least that old but has been in a pot the entire time, just did root cut this year for a shallow pot.
Forsoothe, some are not as dark color but this was is.
I'm only interested in dark blue/purple. Yours would be nice...🤭

Top Bottom