• Always with permission

Votes: 102 68.9%
  • Do it regardless.

Votes: 46 31.1%

• Total voters

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I tried uploading a video but said the file was too big so here’s a few screenshots of it, the first pic is the oak I just collected but the place is just Yamadori heaven, gutted about the video because it’s even got the sound of construction vehicles going on it, I will try cut the video down later
you can start your own thread to document progress. maybe try uploading vid to youtube then upload here, Ive always found that easier for videos.

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
you can start your own thread to document progress. maybe try uploading vid to youtube then upload here, Ive always found that easier for videos.
Thanks mate I’ll give it a try, I’d love to go back to the site but it’s just having the space soil and containers to look after everything 😭

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as I’m concerned I’ve done them a favour removing it as it’s all gonna be flattened anyway and I’m saving a tree of English heritage at the same time 😬 it’s a crime in itself all that material is going to waste! It could be dug up and relocated around the town parks etc but no one gives 2 monkeys
Has really nothing to do with "saving" things from the landowner's perspective, really (and their wishes supercede your desires, since they have title to what your taking). You're not doing anyone a favor by taking what isn't yours without permission. From a property owner's perspective, this has to do with liability and being sued by people there illegally trespassing (like you) who get themselves hurt (or claim to be hurt).

It's not a "crime in itself" if those trees are destroyed. That's a rationalization. All those trees could not be dug up and relocated in town parks, as that would cost thousands of dollars and delay what the property owner is doing. Like it or not, the property owner calls the shots here. It's not your land. You may not like their decision, but, it's none of your business.

Here in the states, doing what you're doing can get you shot at, or outright shot--rightfully. Rationalize as you want to justify things, but you're just simply skipping ahead of TRYING to do the right thing by asking permission.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
cool, are you sure all of that is being cleared tho, Id still ask one of the builders/workers since it sounds like theyre very close to you.

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
cool, are you sure all of that is being cleared tho, Id still ask one of the builders/workers since it sounds like theyre very close to you.
It is mate yes, they are literally working their way over and this is the last bit of the site that will be developed… i have a few friends at local estate agents, a couple know of the site so I’ve had some info on the quiet, the place has been derelict for over 20 years… housing development company been slowly buying the land over that time and now it’s about 70% developed I reckon

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There should be a third option in the poll: It depends!
To give an example, it would be a bit silly to try and make out the owner of a forest and phone 3 people to get permission to take a foot tall hawthorn from a forest path. Or an acorn!
But dont dig up peoples hedges without permission!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There should be a third option in the poll: It depends!
To give an example, it would be a bit silly to try and make out the owner of a forest and phone 3 people to get permission to take a foot tall hawthorn from a forest path. Or an acorn!
But dont dig up peoples hedges without permission!
Pretty certain most commenting on this thread have taken seeds, seedlings, saplings from the forest without permission!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Things are a bit more chilled round here in the uk, certainly not gonna get shot at for digging a tree up 🙄
That may be true, but this forum is not just you and the U.K. :rolleyes: Can't really understand WHY you won't ask. FWIW, if you DID, you might find the builders can actually direct you to the best trees, which you can collect without having to worry about being caught/having to lie/play dumb. etc.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty certain most commenting on this thread have taken seeds, seedlings, saplings from the forest without permission!
Nope. I don't do that and never have...Having been a landowner, this kind of crap chaps my ass.

You can rest assured if I saw someone I didn't know traipsing across a forest plot I owned (or worse, trying to stay out of sight to avoid being seen), they'd get a yell and a "WTF are you doing"..If it was at night/dusk/dawn I wouldn't give that courtesy. What's on my property doesn't belong to you, no matter what rationalization you provide.

All of that is avoidable. ASK me and I will even enthusiastically help you find what you're looking for. Been there done that...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Things are a bit more chilled round here in the uk, certainly not gonna get shot at for digging a tree up 🙄
People don't have firearms in the UK! 🤣

Just rustlin' yer spuds, mate.

Ehhhh.. think about it in terms of land... Or space... There is more LAND here... So trespassing becomes an issue AS well as the destruction and removal of property...

Like, let's just say, you have an extra bathroom.... YOU don't ever use it, or really even have a use for it. It's within YOUR power to sell/get rid of items from that bathroom... Totally fine.

...but what if someone broke in, and ripped your toilet up, and walked out with it. (Doesn't really matter if you didn't need/want the toilet)

You don't get shot at for "diggin' up trees" ...you get shot at for "trespassing, and theft/vandalism".... STILL pretty extreme, I understand... Just wanted to clarify.

🤓

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
That may be true, but this forum is not just you and the U.K. :rolleyes: Can't really understand WHY you won't ask. FWIW, if you DID, you might find the builders can actually direct you to the best trees, which you can collect without having to worry about being caught/having to lie/play dumb. etc.
Lol if I asked the builders over here they would probably just look at me and laugh at the fact that I’m trying to dig up a tree in the first place 🤷🏼‍♂️

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol if I asked the builders over here they would probably just look at me and laugh at the fact that I’m trying to dig up a tree in the first place 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well, welcome to bonsai collection. That happens a lot. You get used to it and use it to your advantage. You're running out of excuses...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Over here we have the right to walk through forests, even if privately owned. No rockms yelling, all nice and quiet!
That's pretty cool!

Last fall, Two guys chased me on ATVs after blasting a 12 ga. Into the air....

I was trying to get some elm Samaras, and the public trail runs along side farmland... The elm was JUUUST on private property... I knew this.

Top Bottom