• Do it regardless.

Votes: 46 31.1%

• Total voters

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Boerboel, the anonymous user you replied to was Will Heath. He is not with us anymore. He is still in jail for illegally collecting trees. Read about it here. Heed the warning, don't let your collecting become an obsession.
As far as I know and I know Will Heath, this is a fake story just like his swamp blog. I would sugesst you make certain you know what you are talking about before making these kinds of entries.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As far as I know and I know Will Heath, this is a fake story just like his swamp blog. I would sugesst you make certain you know what you are talking about before making these kinds of entries.
I’d never heard of the guy and knew it was a joke immediately I read it. He also describes himself as a “humarist” at the bottom of that page.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I’d never heard of the guy and knew it was a joke immediately I read it. He also describes himself as a “humarist” at the bottom of that page.
Understanding that there are more than a few, some of which are on this site or have been, that do not post under their own identity and hate Will Heath who would not hesitate to post something like this. Odd; peterbone got it, it was a joke.

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i live in an area where i highly highly advise against trespassing. Every one is packing. I mean everyone. Too in Idaho 18" of orange paint every 660' is all thats needed to mark something "no trespassing". People have illegal dope operations. Also people have been known to shoot at guys to protect their huckleberry patch. I am not making this up.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whenever I ask the mountain..... it always says 'go for it'. My ability to speak mountain is pretty low though? so it may be saying something else.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive been combing through my township zoning laws and feel pretty confident that all property owned by state and not developed can be free to use for "horticultural specialty use" under the right-to-farm provision.

Private property always ask.

I see no issue with collecting a tree on the side of frequented ATV trails in the local woods behind residential developments that are municipal or state owned. Protected wildlife management areas and federal and state parks i would never collect on without permits. Areas that get clear cut constantly. Like under power-lines shouldnt be much of a Problem as well if not on private land.

Thoughts?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Public lands are one thing, that's not private owned land, which is another. I would make sure you understand your own codes and their applications less you dig your own hole in in the ground. You have to remember in this day and age of bulls that poop green,--- the environment is more sacred than your sorry ass.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About 2 years ago before we moved, everyday I would drive past this really steep cliff about 20 ft from the highway going almost vertical - it had about 10 to 15 really old stunted pine trees growing straight out of the rock face. Some were within reach to grab, with a small amount of work. I believe most were loblolly, which are kind of rare to find stunted like they were.

Well every time I passed them I thought man, I need to find out how to collect them. I called around to different offices, nobody could tell me anything and had no idea who I should talk to. After awhile I gave up and was just going to go grab some - Well then just like that, one day out of nowhere a road-side cleanup crew came along and started cutting down all the pine trees along the highway. They had workers repelling down the cliff and just completely cleaned off the rock face and killed all of them.

I should have just collected them when I had the chance.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About 2 years ago before we moved, everyday I would drive past this really steep cliff about 20 ft from the highway going almost vertical - it had about 10 to 15 really old stunted pine trees growing straight out of the rock face. Some were within reach to grab, with a small amount of work. I believe most were loblolly, which are kind of rare to find stunted like they were.

Well every time I passed them I thought man, I need to find out how to collect them. I called around to different offices, nobody could tell me anything and had no idea who I should talk to. After awhile I gave up and was just going to go grab some - Well then just like that, one day out of nowhere a road-side cleanup crew came along and started cutting down all the pine trees along the highway. They had workers repelling down the cliff and just completely cleaned off the rock face and killed all of them.

Nope. you shouldn't have. Regardless of what happened to them, they never belonged to you. just because my neighbor chooses to chop down his azaleas to clear his front yard, doesn't give me a reason to go over and take them without asking. That is theft. Same thing with the trees you wanted.

While there is an argument for removing material that is in immediate danger of being bulldozed. That doesn't apply here. You had no idea state workers were going to remove them--and that is only underlined by those workers having to rappel down the cliff face to do so. Don't know if you've ever tried to collect pines from rock faces, but it's a crap shoot and not easy. Cutting them down is pretty easy, getting roots is another story.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're absolutely right, it's much better that they were ripped out and tossed in a burn pile. :D

I know what you're saying BUT hindsight is 20/20. It's not regardless of what happened to them. It's 100% about what happened to them. Knowing that they all got killed is the reason why I said I should have gotten them.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're absolutely right, it's much better that they were ripped out and tossed in a burn pile. :D

I know what you're saying BUT hindsight is 20/20. It's not regardless of what happened to them. It's 100% about what happened to them. Knowing that they all got killed is the reason why I said I should have gotten them.
I'm up against similar stuff. I understand the frustration. The 300 year old boxwood below are scheduled to be bulldozed off a historic site in favor of a new garden design. The owners of the site are going to make bowls out their carcasses. I can't get them to answer me about possible collection for bonsai. I'm working a few angles, but I can't just go in and take them because I know they're going to be thrown out. Not my decision or my property. It's the owners'...

dwarfbox1.jpgdwarfbox2.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Sad thing is: If you had tried to collect them and been caught in the act the consequences could have been bad for you if you did not have permission. Things like this are of little value to people like "Them" until they discover the items in question are of value to someone like you; then their value is immeasurable and the penalty for taking them--- vast.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
So let me make sure I understand this. You’d shoot someone over a tree?

Always with permission, the tree belongs to someone. And taking a tree without because you know you will be turned down is still stealing.

How about this....I really want to collect a few of your trees you have in your yard, I know you'll say no, so do I just take them anyhow?

Doing that here would earn you an arse full of birdshot.

A word to the wise.... http://knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=82

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would not shoot anyone for collecting a tree off my property unless they are trying to grab them off my shelf, or digging up one of my Hinoki Cypress trees. I do have the right to protect my property. So let me make sure I understand this: You think you have the right to grab a tree off anyone's property and could shoot anyone who tried to hinder that collection method? When you look at it that way it kind of changes the dynamic a little bit does it not?

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe his point was, there are people out there that will shoot first, and probably never ask questions. That doesn't mean he's one of them, nor does it mean he agrees with them.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't get them to answer me about possible collection for bonsai.

They would not give you permission because although you think

I know they're going to be thrown out.

You also say that

The owners of the site are going to make bowls out their carcasses.

Which means: They are not just tossed out. They have a purpose for the plants. Not the one you would choose, and from our perspective a shame. But getting interesting wood for woodturners is basically the same as what we want: They also want tristed old trunks with character.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

You also say that

Which means: They are not just tossed out. They have a purpose for the plants. Not the one you would choose, and from our perspective a shame. But getting interesting wood for woodturners is basically the same as what we want: They also want tristed old trunks with character.
There are are people as passionate about wood turning as we are about bonsai. Finding really good wood with really grate grain is not an easy thing to do. Try going on someone's property and cutting down a Walnut tree because you want the crotch wood, burls and twisted grain is OK. Do you think you will win that argument?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You also say that

Let's just say three dozen seven foot boxwood with 15 inch trunks would make ALOT of bowls. They're not going to use all of them. I'd be surprised if they used two at the most. I know the guy who is after them for the wood--and yeah, it's only one guy who's going to be using them. Making bowls and wooden stuff from old trees that have fallen down or dug up at historic sites around Va. (and there are many) is his "thing." I have some of his work--he knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, he isn't going to live long enough to make bowls out of all that wood.

I've also heard through the historic site grapevine (yeah, there is one since there are many sites in the area) that the management of this particular public/private site isn't the most forward thinking, so they tend not to think outside the box much (see what I did there? ;))

Anyway, your point is taken--God answers all prayers--but sometimes the answer is "no." It's a fact of life that is a hard to accept.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you've never been to Texas have you? ;) Going on someone's land without permission to take things (regardless of what it is--since you would probably have no idea what they're after) can and does draw gunfire. Has for a very long time.

Top Bottom