Collecting Yamadori from a forest - how to?

jeef16

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all! I'm newish to bonsai and had a question for people who have experience excavating trees from forested areas. My main question is: what do I do when the "trench" method doesn't work? In my case, I want to dig up a tree thats in proximity to other large trees, so large roots and rocky soil present challenges to digging it up easily. How have some of you done it without dangerously damaging the trees? For reference, I'm looking to collect a Beech that's located in a forest.

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Short answer: get someone experienced to dig it for you.

Long answer: read everything you can on digging yamadori from solid, proven sources that are knowledgeable about beech in your location. Find a local collector that knows beech and have them come with you. Practice on a few garden trees before digging from the wild.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mean if you expose the surface roots and theyre rubbish anyway then why not groundlayer? Ive seen beech layer in the wild.
Some pictures of the tree and surface roots would be nice, would help us help you

jeef16

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mean if you expose the surface roots and theyre rubbish anyway then why not groundlayer? Ive seen beech layer in the wild.
Some pictures of the tree and surface roots would be nice, would help us help you
I was thinking of doing this tbh. Chopping the trunk now, waiting for it to regather energy, and then doing an air layering next year

Top Bottom