Collecting Yews

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have some Pacific/Western Yews in my area up pretty high. I am thinking about collecting a few this spring early. Are they as touchy as the pines can be when collecting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 44

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have one tiny Baccata yew and it proved hard to kill. Not just a little hard, but ripped from the pot and flipped into a fence and dried in the sun hard.
And it's still alive.

They are not as touchy as pines I believe. But using Ryan Neil logic (cut off something and see how it responds) strength of these plants comes either from the trunk of the roots. Which means that the roots are best left preserved.

Garden guides say that all yews are shadow dwellers and that they prefer a higher humidity and light shade. That's something that's not mentioned a lot, maybe because they can do very well in full sun too.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Peter
I think Pacific yew would be a little easier to collect. They do tend to root easier than pines. At least my ''internet knowledge'' says so. I have had experience with Taxus x media, the common landscape yew, and Taxus florida, one of the rare yew species. But I have no direct experience with Pacific yew.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Leo and good to hear from you. The Pacific yew is also called the Western yew I hear. How's the BB farm by the big lakes? Peter

Top Bottom