Collection and air layer.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have access to a field that has young Quaking Aspens (7-10 foot tall) that I can get plenty of good air layers from. I am undecided if I would be better off trying to collect them as is then air layering them at the house where I can keep a better eye on them or just leaving them and layering them where they are? Assuming I could collect some and keep a good amount of the roots would it be pushing it too much to also try and layer it the same year?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I try not to do anything to a collected tree in the first year other than let roots recover.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Aspens are a very difficult subject for bonsai. They are difficult to collect, dont reduce leace size well, send many, many sucklers, and are very prone to lose branches for no reason. I would try to collect a more ameanable species

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While I must concede @bonsaichile's points, it could be educational as well as a bit of fun. I imagine one of the things that make aspen difficult to collect it that they sprout new shoots from the roots. In a landscape setting, there is no such thing as one aspen or, an entire forest is really just one aspen! Hmmm, what about trying to gather some root cuttings too, @Warpig?

Regarding leaf size, aspen have a nasty habit of making huge leaves on new growth, especially apical new growth. Leaves on year-plus wood are smaller and smaller lower down the stem/trunk. I have a trio of Himalayan birch in my yard that have similar habits with regard to leaf size and dropping branches. Nevertheless, I am having a ball with seedlings from the trio. Kept small, the leaves stay very small making them entertaining mini-bonsai. Maybe look for some volunteer seedlings too @Warpig.

Lastly, @Warpig, do see how it goes with air layering next spring. Maybe gets some mid-spring cuttings too and see if you can get them to root. It is almost certain to be a waste of time if you are envisioning making prize winning bonsai. However, I find following such larks to be highly educational/entertaining, so just ignore @bonsaichile's realistic discouragement and go do it.

All work and no play makes for a really dull hobby.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for the replys. I have read pretty much what you guys have said before and that Aspens tend to fall into the same group as birch as far as bonsai goes. Seeing as I have been given the go ahead on these and they are free for the taken, I think I will take you up on your advise @0soyoung and will grab one whole tree to let it recover for a year or two to layer later and start 3 or 4 layers come spring to see how it goes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai takes time....

So bring it home to create good layers.

Spend the couple years getting it established, start building trees to layer off later.

The best trees from airlayers can be worked for years before removal.

Does that walking back and forth time equate to more time than it will take for it to become established in your yard?

Not if you are hapazardly taking shitty layers.

But if you are spending good years on each next segment, taking care to make sure nothing bulges or otherwise gets messed up, the walking back and forth time easily goes over establishment time, therefore, making it better to bring home and layer later.

Sorce

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai takes time....

So bring it home to create good layers.

Spend the couple years getting it established, start building trees to layer off later.

The best trees from airlayers can be worked for years before removal.

Does that walking back and forth time equate to more time than it will take for it to become established in your yard?

Not if you are hapazardly taking shitty layers.

But if you are spending good years on each next segment, taking care to make sure nothing bulges or otherwise gets messed up, the walking back and forth time easily goes over establishment time, therefore, making it better to bring home and layer later.

Sorce
Solid logic! Not only would it be easier but as you say will be able to tend to them alot better thank you.

Top Bottom