Collection areas in Ireland

EkuEky

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I was wonder if any Irish people who do bonsai know any places that are good for collecting raw material.

Any help is very appreciated
Thank you

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
People are unlikely to share collecting locations. Firstly because it may jeopardise any relationship they have with the land owner and secondly because they wouldn't want you to collect trees that they've been patiently waiting to collect themselves. However, most of the trees I collect are within a few miles of my house. You don't need to go to remote locations to find good material. Look where animals have been grazing on trees or where footpaths have been frequently cut back. Here's a post I made recently about some of the trees I've found and how I go about searching and collecting. I live in Southern UK, so climate and species will be similar.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi, I was wonder if any Irish people who do bonsai know any places that are good for collecting raw material.

Any help is very appreciated
Thank you

Where are you located ? There is couple of clubs that could probably help you, depends on the location.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On our side, the villagers called the police for the collectors.
Probably because of the size of trees being collected.

We have tried to teach about collecting as Peter bone
has suggested and the use of ground growing for seedlings.
Good Day
Anthony

Side of the road - was about 3 inches tall then

beautiful.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel like your hedgerows must be bustling with bonsai material.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Like Peterbone most said people wont divulge their favourite collecting areas for obvious reasons!
Look for coastal rough grazing lands with Hawthorn and Blackthorn scrub and old hedgerow trees- you often find plenty of beautiful windswept and heavily grazed plants. ASK the landowners and explain what you want and they might be surprisingly helpful!!

Top Bottom