Collection seasons

Hyde_me

Seedling
Reaction score
I have access to 100 acres of mixed bush my family owns in the Muskoka region of Ontario.

The deciduous trees vary from oak, birch, maple, cherry, crab apple. The conifers are pine, spruce and cedar.

The land is mixed fields, rock hills and swamp. So I have lots to choose from.

My question is what season is the best for collecting them? I understand the deciduous trees should taken before they go to full bud, but what about the conifers?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have access to 100 acres of mixed bush my family owns in the Muskoka region of Ontario.

The deciduous trees vary from oak, birch, maple, cherry, crab apple. The conifers are pine, spruce and cedar.

The land is mixed fields, rock hills and swamp. So I have lots to choose from.

My question is what season is the best for collecting them? I understand the deciduous trees should taken before they go to full bud, but what about the conifers?
Collection timing is based on when the tree focusses on root production in the growing cycle and is tied in to the particular climate. So think basically spring for both deciduous and conifer. The timing being just prior to or as buds begin to break. For conifers a second time during the year is available in some climates where dry, hot conditions create some dormancy late summer and the tree has a further active root growth period in the late summer, early fall. The fall collection time does require at least a six to eight week frost free period after collection which is not available in many climatic areas. Unless of course you can house the newly collected trees in protected circumstances.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Collection timing is based on when the tree focusses on root production in the growing cycle and is tied in to the particular climate. So think basically spring for both deciduous and conifer. The timing being just prior to or as buds begin to break. For conifers a second time during the year is available in some climates where dry, hot conditions create some dormancy late summer and the tree has a further active root growth period in the late summer, early fall. The fall collection time does require at least a six to eight week frost free period after collection which is not available in many climatic areas. Unless of course you can house the newly collected trees in protected circumstances.
Your welcome, I would select exposed locations subject to heavy snow, high wind or disruption form extra activity! ie. damage from animals. If I had to choose one particular area I would choose the rocky escarpments and target rock pockets. Areas where the rock formation collects soil and moisture that allows a tree to start but limits its root formation. heavier rock formation with fewer crevices and large cracks. This type of formation creates more fibrous root masses near the surface and are good bets for successful collection sites.
Areas with good depth of soil or extreme PH such as field and bog have additional challenges and lower success rates generally. This due to much deeper roots and or specialized root growth patterns that have developed in areas of continuous moisture levels.

Top Bottom