Collectors of our own art

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have sold a few good quality trees in the past. Nothing like the "not for sale" type of trees but in the 500 to 1,000 dollar range. As part of the negotiating process I offer a year of maintenance (4 or 5visits) with the tree for those that want it. Then my services can be picked up after that if wanted. This does several things, it eases my separation anxiety from my beloved tree :). It also gives the opportunity for the purchaser to establish some idea of care for the tree purchased if they need it. Most importantly it establishes the fact that the tree is healthy and that I haven't sold and run, taking the liability factor out of the equation and hopefully giving me and my business some credibilty along with the ever so important warm fuzzy feelings that a purchaser gets when you followup with them. Not to mention the fact that you have made another friend thats interested in this art form.

Greg, If I were ever to sell a tree out of what a comfortable traveling range was. I would do as you suggested provide Email support. I would also go one step further and refer the purchaser of to someone I know has the knowledge and the hands on ability to help that person. Of course providing the purchaser wants it. I think this is the only credible way to handle bonsai purchases at this price range and above. It lends a significant amount of credibility to the bonsai world and to bonsai as a commercial aspect.

John, I am in total agreement with you. Everyone wants a deal. Doesn't matter if its a bonsai, car, or produce. So I'm sure most vendors jack their prices up to give way to the customers bartering. Making the experience more enjoyable. In fact I will go as far to say, that when I was in a New England nursery for the better part of a day evaluating some material. There were two pines that could have been clones, both with the same price tag. Both were bought by two different people over the coarse of that day. One was sold for about 15% less than asked after some haggling. The other sold for the listed price, no bartering was done. From what I observed both walked out happy. So the bottom line I guess here is that each tree has its own value in that person's mind and each person will do what they can to make themselves happy, be it barter or buy at list.

Top Bottom