color of Deshojo

sassa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,
if I wanted the bright red spring color should I put the tree in full sun or in shade?

Thanks, sassa

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi sassa,
For the 'Deshojo' maple, you'll want to put it in bright sunlight, but not in full sun...thew new leaves will burn more easily. once they harden off, they will be able to take more sun. If you put it in all shade, the plant would not have the bright red color you are looking for.

By the way, have you propagated it? I've been looking for one.

Hope that helps,
David

sassa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi David,
actually I am trying to get one too, they are hard to find.
Thx for your reply.
Sassa

ginger

Sapling
Reaction score
Here is a picture of one I saw on another forum. They are very pretty.

___ginger

Attachments

• 879hampdeshojo-med.jpg
    879hampdeshojo-med.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 108

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Sassa, I know your pain. Actually, I had one a couple of years ago, but it died. :( I didn't know how to take care of maples...but now that I have around 30 JM cultivars, I'm looking for another one. LOL

David

PS: If you find one, try to take some cuttings. You can send me a PM and I can get you some DETAILED instructions. Maybe they'll work and then you can pass one along to somebody LOL........... :D

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a photo of one of my deshojo maples,im air layering the top this year,i also took some hard wood cuttings and eventually some soft woods,ill let you know how things go.

Attachments

• deshojo 002.jpg
    deshojo 002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 254

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I keep my maples in full sun this time of year,when june rolls around they get partial shade,because its just to intense,but for now they are soaking up the sun.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Mike, if (and hopefully when) you get some of your 'Deshojo' cuttings to root, could you send me one LOL? I've been looking for this one for awhile and would love to finally get a hold of one.

Thanks!
David

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If things work out,id be glad to share a few cuttings.

sassa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi mapleman77,
would you mind telling me a few names of your JM cultivars?

Many thanx,
Sassa.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Sassa,
I have a rather long list (30+) but I'll share some that I want to take cuttings from to start bonsai with.

'Beni Hime'
'Garyu'
'Fairyhair'
'Kasagi yama'
'Alpenweiss'
'Purple Ghost'
'Villa Taranto'
'Red Dragon'
'Mikawa Yatsubusa'
'Baby Lace'
'Beni Shi en'
and many more...

Before really getting into bonsai, I collected (and still am collecting) the rare JM cultivars that you never hear about. LOL. Anyway, I'm trying to make a point of not using the "normal" cvs., instead using rarer, more beautiful (in my opinion) ones for my bonsai.

Oh by the way, i'm not opposed to using 'Koto Hime', 'Kashima', 'Kamagata', and others like it but I find some of the rarer ones more striking (for instance, I would love to have a 'Higasa yama' bonsai--it's really variegated but strong! Google it to see a picture!).

Anyway, hope this helps. Keep in mind that most of my JMs are very young, as they're really expensive. i'm going to grow them from cuttings ASAP but it'll be a couple of years before a lot of them have any size on them.

One of my all-time favorites, and also probably one of the best for bonsai is 'Beni Hime'. I'll post a picture in a day or as soon as I remember and I think that you'll see why... :)

David

sassa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey David,
it seems you have a nice collection in you hands.
I googled them and waau.

Sassa.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks sassa!

I've just gotten in several more (5 I think) so that brings my collection up once again. they're looking good.

So how are the cuttings looking Discusmike?

David

Here's the picture of the 'Beni Hime' that I promised to post...and then forgot to post....so anyway the leaves are about the size of a quarter, and those are the largest, I think that the habit speaks for itself...

Attachments

• Plants 5-5-09 014.jpg
    Plants 5-5-09 014.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Mapleman,
Have you had any luck with either air-layering or cuttings of Beni Hime?
Regards, Charles

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Mapleman,
Have you had any luck with either air-layering or cuttings of Beni Hime?
Regards, Charles
Charles,
It looks like mapleman hasn't been in the site in quite awhile.
So I thought I would at least give you some reply.

Beni Hime is a tough one to grow.
There is another cultivar that is very similar but is a little bit more hardy and vigorous. 'Otaha'
I just had a maple nursery friend give me one a few months ago. I ill be trying to root cuttings next year, so I will let you know how easy it is to propagate.

Not sure if 'Otaha' has made its way down to your part of the world.

KiwiPlantGuy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Jmw,
Many thanks for your reply.
Not many sort after varieties are down here apart from the trendy ones - shindeshojo, osakasuki, and bloodgood to name a few , plus the weeping ones which I can't use ( obviously).
I will try also and let you or anyone know how I get on.
Charles.

AlainK

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
'Deshojo', 'Shindeshojo' and other related Acer palmatum cultivars only display their best colours in spring. Then the leaves turn to a dark green.

The less fertizing, the better the colours.

KiwiPlantGuy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks to Sorce and AlainK for your comments.
I am just starting out with lots of 'prebonsai' trees. The art form of the bonsai seems like a tough gig BUT I am excited as have been in the nursery/plant propagation industry all my working life (25 years or so).
Lol, to grow trees for Bonsai and not for the landscape trade is an opposite but very addictive already. Never know, I might be brace enough to post a photo.
Charles.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks to Sorce and AlainK for your comments.
I am just starting out with lots of 'prebonsai' trees. The art form of the bonsai seems like a tough gig BUT I am excited as have been in the nursery/plant propagation industry all my working life (25 years or so).
Lol, to grow trees for Bonsai and not for the landscape trade is an opposite but very addictive already. Never know, I might be brace enough to post a photo.
Charles.
Since you have experience with propagation, look into cuttings and air layering. Maples can be propagated by both methods. In the Propagation Sub Forum Bonsai Nut has put together an excellent explanation of air layering. Ive been doing cuttings the last two summers of many maple cultivars so if you would like some tips and ideas let me know.

Its a good way to build up material to learn and work with.

Ive been known to do a few air layers and cuttings!

20140628_150819.jpg FB_IMG_1496941273535.jpg