Colorado’s Ceramics

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also got some new wooden templates to help level up my oval game! I’ve found that oval templates are really difficult to make perfect with just a protractor and pencil. These wooden ones are really nice and should last a long time. I also use these for the hexes.

EC7AC86F-55F7-4FA5-B6FC-5FE2DE73D4DA.jpeg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good, getting the hang of the wheel now. I love that cut corner pot, that’s a good shape. I thought about getting those forms at my local pottery shop, I probably need to when I get back at it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good, getting the hang of the wheel now. I love that cut corner pot, that’s a good shape. I thought about getting those forms at my local pottery shop, I probably need to when I get back at it.
Thank you! Yes I am feeling much more in control with the wheel now that I’ve put in some time practicing. :)

I highly recommend the forms. They’re more of a “luxury” than a “necessity” since you can make them yourself out of paper…but the wooden ones will last forever and they’re probably more precise than most of us can manage with a pencil, ruler, and paper.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here’s another one I made this weekend on the wheel. I was inspired to try this foot style after watching a video of Mr. Kakuyuki Watanabe of Kakuzan kiln. Unfortunately the delicate points of the feet got smooshed because I flipped it over too soon…what an idiot! 🤣

The rim got torn in the throwing process but i decided to just go with it. I’m going to put a thick layer of glaze on this one!

3491CB15-9F21-4B54-8E0C-516449C32222.jpeg
6EBA6D64-22B2-46EC-BCCB-D32721F81B23.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also got some new wooden templates to help level up my oval game! I’ve found that oval templates are really difficult to make perfect with just a protractor and pencil. These wooden ones are really nice and should last a long time. I also use these for the hexes.

View attachment 465938

GR pottery forms?
I just met Jeff last weekend at our second Saturday demo.
Really nice guy.

Sorce

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah I would leave the ripped lip too, I think it’s cool and gives it character
in no time your thrown pots are going to match the quality the hand built ones. potentially even surpassing them
Love those feet. Very simple and contemporary.

Thanks guys, I am having a TON of fun on the wheel!

I have a huge glob of reclaimed clay that I’m going to use next weekend to see how big I can go, just for fun 😬😁

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How much ? for the first round one

Hi Pixar! Thanks so much for your interest! 😍

I am thinking one this size will probably be priced at about $50.

Prices for all of these will be derivative of the size, I.e. the raw materials and kiln space required to make them :)

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Here’s another one I made this weekend on the wheel. I was inspired to try this foot style after watching a video of Mr. Kakuyuki Watanabe of Kakuzan kiln.
Fun fact: when I got serious about bonsai pottery and travelled to Tokoname for the firs time in 2018 it was Kakuzan who invited me to his studio and showed me the ropes.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So just out if curiosity, what sizes are you mainly doing? Mame, shohin or bigger? I was thinking of sticking with shohin or smaller just because that’s what I’m getting into more.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fun fact: when I got serious about bonsai pottery and travelled to Tokoname for the firs time in 2018 it was Kakuzan who invited me to his studio and showed me the ropes.

Wow! That sounds like an amazing experience … would be a dream come true!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So just out if curiosity, what sizes are you mainly doing? Mame, shohin or bigger? I was thinking of sticking with shohin or smaller just because that’s what I’m getting into more.

Haven’t made any mame. I’ve made a few shohin size, but the majority are larger.

Most of my pots are in the 8”- 16” range. My kiln will be able to fire up to about 17-18” long pieces. That’s about as big as i can really do in my home setup, which is a very small space. I am planning to get into even larger pots some day when space allows :)

There is an anagama wood-fired kiln up in Boulder that I have aspirations of getting involved with someday…..

Top Bottom