Colorado’s Literati Ponderosa Pine

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks awesome! I am hoping to get mine like that someday. What resources have you found helpful regarding the care of Ponderosa? I am fairly new to the species and have been reading Larry Jackel's book.

Thank you! I pretty much just follow the Mirai method for ponderosas. I am also a student of Todd Schlafer and he follows the same method. There are lots of great ponderosa materials in the Mirai video library!

Larry is also a top-notch bonsai professional. I don’t know for sure, but I’d wager that Larry has probably been doing bonsai with ponderosas for longer than Ryan and Todd have been doing bonsai combined. 😁 However, I have to confess that I haven’t read Larry’s book. I did have a nice discussion with him at a club meeting a few months ago about pine shoot tip moths, though. 😃

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Larry Jackel's book.
First visit with Ryan 2014 Ryan said pretty much Larry does Ponderosa all wrong! Ryan Neil favorite tree Ponderosa. He is the Ponderosa guru😌.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First visit with Ryan 2014 Ryan said pretty much Larry does Ponderosa all wrong! Ryan Neil favorite tree Ponderosa. He is the Ponderosa guru😌.

Haha. I am not sure that I believe Ryan would use those particular words about a fellow bonsai professional 😆.

But I agree that Ryan is a ponderosa guru! I prefer to keep an open mind and consider information from multiple sources. Yes, Ryan has some wonderful ponderosas. So does Larry.

For those that are not aware, Larry Jackal is the curator of the Denver Botanic Gardens Bonsai Collection. If you haven’t visited the collection, there are some very high level bonsai that exist under Larry’s care. He is a very experienced bonsai professional. He’s also a really great guy. Very generous with his time and his knowledge. This thread has reminded me that I really want to read his book!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha. I am not sure that I believe Ryan would use those particular words about a fellow bonsai professional 😆.

But I agree that Ryan is a ponderosa guru! I prefer to keep an open mind and consider information from multiple sources. Yes, Ryan has some wonderful ponderosas. So does Larry.

For those that are not aware, Larry Jackal is the curator of the Denver Botanic Gardens Bonsai Collection. If you haven’t visited the collection, there are some very high level bonsai that exist under Larry’s care. He is a very experienced bonsai professional. He’s also a really great guy. Very generous with his time and his knowledge. This thread has reminded me that I really want to read his book!
Actual words nearly exactly that or at least amounted to it. As remembered 9 years later;). As I had read it asked Ryan about it. From something Larry said in book suspect he changed personal technique somewhat after writing. You already have the book?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Actual words nearly exactly that or at least amounted to it. As remembered 9 years later;). As I had read it asked Ryan about it. From something Larry said in book suspect he changed personal technique somewhat after writing. You already have the book?

No, I don’t have the book. My experience is based on talking and working a bit with Larry. I just went on Google and Amazon to try to buy a copy, but it appears to be sold out everywhere! And no e-book available.

I’d buy your copy from you if you’re interested in selling it! 😁

jindog

Seedling
Reaction score
No, I don’t have the book. My experience is based on talking and working a bit with Larry. I just went on Google and Amazon to try to buy a copy, but it appears to be sold out everywhere! And no e-book available.

I could not find a copy until the Midwest show. I saw it on the shelf and grabbed it immediately. It has some interesting information. One thing to point out is that Larry suggests that it is possible to repot ponderosas in the late summer/early fall. I had no clue!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

At first was why I asked🤪. However after looking at for first time in years might just keep for pictures in it😂.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At first was why I asked🤪. However after looking at for first time in years might just keep for pictures in it😂.

Haha! I can’t blame you! 😃

Maybe I’ll just ask Larry next time I see him if he has any extra copies I could purchase.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could not find a copy until the Midwest show. I saw it on the shelf and grabbed it immediately. It has some interesting information. One thing to point out is that Larry suggests that it is possible to repot ponderosas in the late summer/early fall. I had no clue!

Interesting - I was not aware of that! I was just at a repotting workshop at the Denver Botanic Gardens this spring that he was hosting. So I’m pretty sure that he does repot most trees in the spring.

He also is a big proponent for turface. It seems like he loves the stuff. Personally I’ve never used it and don’t really intend to try it.

However, I must say that someone brought a pinion pine to the repotting workshop. It was potted in turface and the box was PACKED with great looking roots. Larry made sure to point that out 😜

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Enjoying a gentle snow shower this morning. I took all the wire off in late summer. It had bitten in pretty hard in some spots so I wanted to give it the fall to start to heal those areas. I am planning to wire it in the spring.

I am really looking forward to that! I’m planning to compact the apex and bring those lower branches up more to give it a more alpine and ancient vibe 😎

B5A83990-CCA5-4F81-9DCB-9AE82F18AF4A.jpeg

Top Bottom